- "My husband trained on Korriban. He had his chance at glory but failed--now he runs errands for a slimy Hutt."
- ―Gianna, Kendrel's wife
Kendrel was a male Human who lived on the planet Nal Hutta during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the resurgent Sith Empire. Kendrel was Force-sensitive and trained on the planet Korriban to become Sith, however he failed his trials. To avoid the death that awaited most failed Sith acolytes, Kendrel fled the planet. He ended up on Nal Hutta, where he took up work doing menial tasks for a Hutt. He married a woman named Gianna with whom he had a Force-sensitive son named Zi'am. When Gianna discovered her son's ability, she wished for him to be trained on Korriban to become Sith so that he could succeed where his father had failed. Kendrel, however, did not want his son to travel to the Sith world and attempted to flee Hutta with the boy, traveling to the spaceport in the town of Jiguuna. Having learned of her husband's plan, Gianna asked an Imperial-aligned individual to bring back her son. The individual accepted and found Kendrel and Zi'am in the spaceport. When the failed Sith refused to hand over the boy, the individual killed him. After his father's death, Zi'am returned to his mother, who sent him to Korriban.
- "I was once an acolyte at the Academy on Korriban. There's no failure at the Sith Academy. Those who can't cut it, die."
Kendrel was a male Force-sensitive Human who lived during the Cold War. Some time before 3643 BBY, Kendrel trained on the planet Korriban to become Sith. He failed his trials and fled before he could be killed, as was the fate of most failed acolytes. He then came to live on the planet Nal Hutta, where he served a Hutt, performing various errands. Kendrel also married a woman named Gianna and had a son with her named Zi'am prior to 3643 BBY. When they discovered the boy was Force-sensitive like his father, Gianna wanted to send him to Korriban so he too could train to serve the Empire as a Sith. Kendrel, however, refused to allow his son to go through the same terrible experience he had training as a Sith and so took the boy and attempted to flee Nal Hutta. The pair reached the spaceport in the industrial town of Jiguuna, where they arranged to travel off-planet. However, a comm officer named Mekks, who worked at the spaceport, recognized the pair and informed the boy's mother since he owed her a favor.
Gianna eventually sent an Imperial-aligned individual to retrieve her son. The individual found Mekks in the spaceport and the comm officer beckoned over Kendrel and Zi'am. Once the individual explained why they were there, Kendrel refused to hand over the boy, as he didn't want to risk his son's death at the hands of the Sith. He asked that the individual let them flee and tell Gianna they had gone to Korriban so she wouldn't search for them. The individual refused and shot Kendrel, killing him before before he could react. After his father's death, Zi'am fled home to his mother, visibly upset. Gianna then sent Zi'am to Korriban, as she had planned to, where he came under the tutelage of a Sith overseer named Harkun.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "I got wise and fled before they could kill me, and I'll die before I see my son eaten alive by those Sith dogs!"
Kendrel, at the time of his Sith trials, was not able enough to complete them, however he was wise enough to work out that he needed to escape if he wished to survive. Knowing how evil the Sith were, he cared deeply for his son Zi'am and was willing to give his life to try and prevent his son's potential death on Korriban. Kendrel's wife, however, believed he was a fool and a coward. At the time Kendrel attempted to flee with their son, Gianna felt their marriage had been dead for years.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I didn't get a chance to thank you for helping my son and I escape Hutta. Now, with a few hundred light-years behind us, it occurs to me how much I owe you."
- ―Part of Kendrel's message if the player lets him live
Kendrel first appeared in the video game Star Wars: The Old Republic, which was released by BioWare and LucasArts in 2011. He is involved in the quest "Dreams of Korriban" on Hutta, where his wife asks the player to retrieve her son from Kendrel. The player has a choice to either allow Kendrel and Zi'am to flee once they reach the spaceport (light side) or to kill Kendrel (dark side). If the player chooses to allow the pair to flee, the only options when returning to Gianna are to lie, saying that her son was taken to Korriban. This article assumes that the player chose to take the "dark side" option and kill Kendrel due to the fact that only Imperial characters of the Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent class can undertake this quest. This is due to its location on Nal Hutta, which Republic players cannot access. If the player kills Kendrel, they will receive a message from an overseer on Korriban named Harkun, informing them that Zi'am is now training there, and rewards the player with 13 credits. If the player spares Kendrel, then he instead will send the player a message, thanking them and explaining that he will train Zi'am himself, away from the Jedi and the Sith.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Mission: "Dreams of Korriban" on Nal Hutta
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Zi'am on Korriban from Harkun
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Escaping Hutta from Kendrel