- "We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kessel, or smashed into who knows what!"
Kessel was a planet that hosted spice mines. For years, the Pyke Syndicate dealt with spice mined from Kessel, utilizing smugglers and freighter captains to deliver it to the crime families of Coruscant. The Galactic Empire operated a mining operation, employing numerous slaves, including Wookiees, to harvest spice. Meanwhile, the Kessel royal family lived in lush sanctuaries in the planet's southern hemisphere, turning a blind eye to the brutal working conditions in the mines of the northern hemisphere.
When the Empire boarded the starship Tantive IV, which carried Princess Leia Organa on a secret mission for the Rebel Alliance, the protocol droid named C-3PO expressed fear that he and his counterpart R2-D2 would be sent to the spice mines of Kessel.
Behind the scenesEdit
The planet Kessel was first mentioned in the 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Its first canonical appearance was in Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, the premiere of the animated television series Star Wars Rebels. The series used designs and concepts created for Kessel by Star Wars creator George Lucas, who developed its appearance, culture, and economy.
- A New Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (First appearance)
- The Rebellion Begins
- Droids in Distress book
- Ezra's Wookiee Rescue
- Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Commander (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide (First pictured)
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars Rebels
- "Cowboy Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 152 (Picture only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Fight the Empire
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ; image #1 (of 8)