- "I just made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs."
- ―Han Solo on Savareen
The Kessel Run was a hyperspace route within the Akkadese Maelstrom used by smugglers and unscrupulous freighter captains to move spice from the spice mines of Kessel at the behest of the Pyke Syndicate, who relied on the foolhardy Kessel Runs to deliver the illicit substance to their customers. Han Solo, piloting the Millennium Falcon, made the infamous run in slightly over 12 parsecs, boasting about his ship's ability to endure shorter but more hazardous routes through hyperspace. By doing so, Solo broke a long-held record.
Behind the scenesEdit
In a commentary track on the Star Wars Blu-ray release, George Lucas stated that ships in the Star Wars universe can't travel in straight lines while in hyperspace due to collisions with celestial objects. Thus, distance is an important factor in how quickly a ship can get from point A to point B. The Millennium Falcon's superior navigation computer allowed it to travel shorter distances between points and arrive faster.
Canon sources conflict on the veracity of Solo's claim of the Millennium Falcon making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy describes the claim as a "lie" that the inexperienced Luke Skywalker is impressed with, but which the seasoned Obi-Wan Kenobi recognizes as nothing more than a boast. Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!, however, states in its narration that "Not every ship is created equal and the rebels have the ship that did the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs." Solo: A Star Wars Story describes Han's Kessel Run as being slightly longer than twelve parsecs, while other ships tend to take at least twenty.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Steal (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Choose Your Destiny: A Han & Chewie Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 10: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 17: Rebel Jail, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 8: The Screaming Citadel, Part V (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 45: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 46: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part III (Indirect mention only)
- Han Solo, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Last Shot (Mentioned only)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide