The kilometer, sometimes abbreviated as the klick or k, was a well-known distance-measurement, in use from the time of the Galactic Republic onwards. A device used for measuring distance such as kilometers was the odometer.
Behind the scenesEdit
References to "kilometers" and "klicks" sometimes occur in character dialogue in Star Wars material, for instance when Thrawn compares them to Chiss visvias. There are several possible explanations for what the Star Wars kilometer is:
- A conversion of a distance-unit of a different length into a scale more familiar for the reader.
- A translation of the Basic name of a unit of approximately the same size, but not exactly the same 1,000 meter length.
- The real-world measurement, somehow also being used in "a galaxy far, far away..."
A reference to klacks in The Rebel Opposition was a typo for "klicks."
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, First Edition
- Star Wars Campaign Pack
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- "Smuggler's Log"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8 (Kuari Princess Barge game information)
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: )
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Galaxy at War
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Scout Trooper 74-Z Speeder Bike)
- Suns of Fortune