|Chronological and political information|
Klaatu was essentially an indentured servant at Jabba's Palace, working off a large gambling debt to the Hutt, but the Nikto was secretly plotting to kill Jabba. During the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon, Klaatu was on the deck of Jabba's sail barge when Luke Skywalker reached the place. The Jedi approached Klaatu and cut the Nikto's weapon in half, and then Klaatu fled to the inside of the sail barge with another guard, dying in the explosion that followed.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The Green Nikto seen in Jabba's palace was called Klaatu, though Wooof was one of the production names used for this character."
- ―Leland Chee
Klaatu was portrayed by Corey Dee Williams, the son of actor Billy Dee Williams, background work earlier in the film was done by John Simpkin during the initial scenes in Jabba's Palace.[source?] Klaatu was named for Klaatu barada nikto, a phrase from the 1951 film The Day The Earth Stood Still. "Klaatu" is the name of the humanoid alien protagonist in the film.[source?]
According to Leland Chee, Klaatu was the Nikto in the Throne Room, but he had already been named Wooof (an original production name) by Decipher. However, on July 6, 2011, Chee admitted that to be a mistake in his Keeper of the Holocron blog on Facebook.com, and that Wooof and Klaatu were separate characters. 
On-set production photos of Jabba's Throne Room revealed however, that both Wooof and Klaatu were present during the throne room scenes. While mostly left out-of-frame during the Palace scenes, he can be spotted over the shoulder of a character he's standing behind, next to Mosep Binneed.
The "Klaatu (Palace)" action figure made by Kenner in 1983 was based on Wooof. However, in the same year Kenner also produced a "Klaatu (in Skiff Guard Outfit)" action figure which was based on the actual Klaatu. The two characters are in fact different. Hasbro's 1999 "Klaatu" figure included in the Jabba's Skiff Guards set was also based on Klaatu.
- Star Wars: The Power of the Force (1995)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Star Wars: Chronicles
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Klaatu)
- "Masters of the Force" - Jedi Knights Trading Card Game (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- Who's Who in Jabba's Palace
- "Set Piece"—Star Wars Insider 67
- "The Ultimate Return of the Jedi Insider's Guide"—Star Wars Insider 67
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Toy Wars"—Star Wars Insider 107
- The Unknown Regions
- "Rogues Gallery: An Audience with Jabba the Hutt"—Star Wars Insider 134
- "A Star Wars Family Legacy"—Star Wars Insider 141 (Picture only)
- "I Survived the Sarlacc!"—Star Wars Insider 143
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Klaatu)
- ↑ "Masters of the Force" - Jedi Knights Trading Card Game (Card: )
- ↑ "Set Piece"—Star Wars Insider 67
- ↑ "I Survived the Sarlacc!"—Star Wars Insider 143
- ↑ Leland Chee's Keeper of the Holocron blog on Facebook