- "Even you, master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test."
- ―Supreme Leader Snoke, to Kylo Ren
The Knights of Ren was a dark side organization that operated under the command of Supreme Leader Snoke in the years following the destruction of the Sith. Kylo Ren, grandson of the Sith Lord Darth Vader and nephew of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, was Snoke's apprentice as well as the master of the Knights of Ren. During the galactic war between the First Order and the Resistance, Kylo became the new Supreme Leader after assassinating his Master in 34 ABY.
The Knights of Ren included Kylo Ren, whom Supreme Leader Snoke—the leader of these forces of dark side users—referred to as a master of the Knights of Ren. As a member of the Knights of Ren, Kylo was not part of the formal hierarchy of the First Order but nonetheless operated with freedom among the military command, who tolerated his presence with some hesitation as his agenda trumped their own. Kylo wore a black and silver combat helmet based on the battle gear worn by the Knights of Ren.
The Knights of Ren operated in the decades following the Galactic Civil War. Although the Sith ended with the death of Darth Vader, Kylo Ren's grandfather, the dark side of the Force was strong with Kylo and Snoke, who used the Knights of Ren as a tool of the dark side alongside the First Order. Rey, a Force-sensitive scavenger who hailed from Jakku, saw the Knights of Ren in a vision. After the galaxy fell into a state of war between the First Order and the Resistance in 34 ABY, Kylo assassinated Snoke and claimed his throne as the new Supreme Leader.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Knights of Ren were created for the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. According to Rian Johnson, writer and director of the sequel The Last Jedi, the reason why the group does not appear in the sequel is that the movie was already full and there literally was no room for them. Johnson mused that they could have been used in place of the Praetorian Guards, but it would be a waste because all the guards had to die and Kylo's connection to the Knights of Ren would have added unwanted complications to the scene.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Cavanaugh, Patrick (January 17, 2017). Star Wars: Rian Johnson Explains Why He Didn't Explore the Knights of Ren in 'The Last Jedi'. Comicbook. Retrieved on January 18, 2018.
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens