The Knights of Zakuul, also known as the Zakuul Knights, were an order of Force-sensitive warriors who served the Emperor of the Eternal Empire. They differed in philosophy from both Jedi and Sith of the era, believing that the Force was a tool to be used in the pursuit of justice, and that they drew their connection to the Force directly from Emperor Valkorion.
After the downfall of the Eternal Empire, the Knights were officially absorbed into the Alliance to act as the personal guard of the Alliance leaders. Despite this, many of the remaining Knights joined Zakuulan splinter groups such as the Order of Zildrog.
Organization and philosophyEditThe Knights of Zakuul served to protect the Emperor of the Eternal Empire and enforce justice on Zakuul. Unlike the Jedi or Sith, the Knights of Zakuul neither rejected nor rigidly adhered to either the light side or the dark side of the Force, emphasising the importance of a Knight exploring their own personal connection to the Force. Eschewing a strict code of conduct, no area of the Force was deemed weak, and nothing was off-limits for Knights to study in the pursuit of power. However, Knights were also encouraged to share their findings with the rest of the order.
The Knights of Zakuul were led by a High Justice. By 3637 BBY, the title was held by Vaylin, the daughter of Emperor Valkorion. However, membership of the royal family was not a prerequisite to lead the Knights, as a previous holder of the title, Yuriem, held no ties to the royal family.
A subgroup of the Knights, the Scions, was comprised of force-sensitives who could glimpse the future through the Force. However, after the death of Emperor Valkorion, his successor Arcann ordered a violent purge of the Scions, creating a schism within the Knights of Zakuul.
The Knights of Zakuul were a heavily-militarised organisation and favored group tactics, often involving the use of personal shields, as well as co-ordination between Knights, walkers, and the Eternal Empire's Skytroopers. One such group formation, Zildrog's Wedge, was named for the Zakuulan Old God Zildrog.
Exarchs were cybernetically-enhanced Knights subjected to an experimental and often fatal enhancement process known as Project Exarch. In the aftermath of Emperor Arcann's conquest of the galaxy, Exarchs served as military governers and quasi-religious figureheads of their assigned sectors of the galaxy, ruling conquered planets from a space station known as a Star Fortress.
During the reigns of Emperors Valkorion and Arcann, members of the Knights served as the personal guard to the Emperor and the Eternal Throne. By the reign of Empress Vaylin, these Knights would be purged and reorganised into her Horizon Guard.
The Knights of Zakuul drew their origins from the force-sensitive tribal leaders of early Zakuulan settlers; Matriarchs, Champions, and High Shamans. After Valkorion united the tribes years prior to 3637 BBY, these roles were organised and formalised into the Knights of Zakuul.
Armor and equipmentEdit
Knights of Zakuul were known for their use of the use of distinctive lightsaber pikes, usually wielded alongside a shield for deflecting blaster fire. Knights also utilized lightsabers and double-bladed lightsabers. Their blade color was almost always blue, except for cybernetically-enhanced Knights found within Star Fortresses, who with orange bladed lightsabers, whilst Exarchs wielded a wided range of lightsaber colors.
The standard uniform of the Knights of Zakuul was a suit of gold armor. Knights were taught to forge their own armor from a young age, a practice that extended to the future Emperor Arcann. Exarchs were known to have worn enhanced or upgraded variants of the standard Knight armor, adapted to draw power from the Sun Generators powering their Star Fortress.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- (First appearance)
- (First identified as Knights of Zakuul)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter I: The Hunt
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—War for Iokath
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter V: From the Grave
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter VII: The Lady of Sorrows
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter III: Outlander
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter VIII: Taking Flight
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter XVI: The Battle of Odessen
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Horizon Guard"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Knights of Zakuul"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Indo Zal"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "The Scions of Zakuul"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Exarchs of Zakuul"