- "You are Korto Vos of the Clan Vos, a child of the Force. I swear that the darkness will not touch you. Your life and your destiny are your own. May the Force be with you, Korto… always."
- ―Quinlan Vos
Korto Vos was a Force-sensitive male Human/Kiffar hybrid born on the planet Kashyyyk less than eight months after the end of the Clone Wars in 19 BBY. His mother, the Human spy Khaleen Hentz, had fled to the Wookiee homeworld after Jedi across the galaxy—including Vos's father, the Kiffar Jedi Master Quinlan Vos—were targeted for death as part of a plan by the Republic's Supreme Chancellor to seize control of the galaxy. However, Quinlan survived the Great Jedi Purge and made his way to Kashyyyk, where Vos, Hentz, and two other Jedi Masters were living under the protection of the Wookiee Palsaang clan. The young Vos was greeted by his father, who applied traditional Kiffar qukuuf tattoos to his face and proclaimed that he would never be touched by the dark side of the Force.
- "Quinlan Vos, meet your son—Korto."
- ―Khaleen Hentz
Korto Vos was the son of Khaleen Hentz, a Human female spy, and Quinlan Vos, a male Kiffar Jedi Master. He was conceived by a physical union of the two in 19 BBY on the planet Saleucami during the final weeks of the Clone Wars. While the young Vos was developing inside his mother's womb, Hentz went into hiding. Across the galaxy, clone troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic gunned down their Jedi Generals in a bid by the Republic's Supreme Chancellor Palpatine to wipe out the Jedi Order and seize control of the galaxy. Believing Quinlan to be dead, Hentz followed advice he had previously given her and fled to the planet Kashyyyk alongside the Jedi Masters Tholme and T'ra Saa, who were enemies of the newly-declared Galactic Empire.
The three were taken in by Wookiees of the Palsaang clan, and Hentz gave birth to the young Vos while living on the Wookiee homeworld. Vos began his life as a black-haired, fair-skinned Human/Kiffar hybrid who, like his father, was sensitive to the Force. He was born into Clan Vos, a family who had until recently ruled the twin planets of Kiffex and Kiffu. A playful boy, Vos enjoyed grabbing at dangling objects. His full name, "Korto Vos," had been an alias previously used by Quinlan on several undercover missions during the war.
Eight months after the Chancellor's betrayal of the Jedi and the end of the war, Vos, his mother, and their Jedi companions were in a cave, protected by Gumbaeki, the leader of the Palsaang clan. The young Wookiee Chak was playing with Vos while the others activated a holocron of Quinlan's that they had discovered on-world. Quinlan was in fact alive and well, and he arrived at the cave as they listened, accompanied by the Devaronian smuggler Vilmarh Grahrk. Eight months prior, Grahrk had kept a gravely injured Quinlan safe from traitorous clone troopers, and the Devaronian had later nursed him back to health. In the cave, Quinlan met his new son for the first time and immediately applied traditional Kiffar qukuuf tattoos to Vos's face. He then proclaimed that his son's destiny was his own, but that Vos would nevertheless be kept safe from the touch of the dark side of the Force.
Behind the scenesEdit
Korto Vos was created by John Ostrander and Jan Duursema, an author-artist pair who collaborated on a number of issues of the comic series Star Wars: Republic. His mother's pregnancy was first mentioned in the series' seventy-seventh issue, released in 2005, and he first appeared outside of her womb in the eighty-third and final issue, released in 2006. Since then, Vos's only other mentions in Star Wars canon have been in 2008's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.
- Republic 77: Siege of Saleucami, Part 4 (First mentioned)
- Republic 81: Hidden Enemy, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Republic 83: Hidden Enemy, Part 3 (First appearance) (First identified as Korto Vos)
- Star Wars: Panel to Panel Volume 2: Expanding the Universe
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, III ("Hentz, Khaleen," "Tholme, Master," "Vos, Quinlan")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 238 ("Tholme, Master")
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Republic 83: Hidden Enemy, Part 3
- ↑ Republic 74: Siege of Saleucami, Part 1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Republic 77: Siege of Saleucami, Part 4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 34 ("Hentz, Khaleen")
- ↑ Jedi: Count Dooku
- ↑ Republic 49: Sacrifice
- ↑ Republic 54: Double Blind
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 312 ("Vos, Quinlan")