- "You are a weak, pathetic rodent, and even a lunatic like Spindrall can see this."
- ―Overseer Harkun, to Kory
Kory was a Human female who lived during the era of the Cold War. She hailed from Sith space and was of low birth, but was inducted into the Sith Order due to her Force-sensitivity. Around 3643 BBY, she and five other Sith Acolytes were summoned to the Sith Academy on Korriban to participate in trials and evaluations and to ultimately become the apprentice of the Sith Lord Zash. Kory's trials were supervised by the vindictive Overseer Harkun, who first tasked the acolytes with journeying into the tomb of the ancient Dark Lord of the Sith Ajunta Pall, where they would find the hermit Sith Lord Spindrall and be judged by him. Kory completed the task and survived Spindrall's tests, but was judged by the elder Sith to be unworthy of training in the dark side of the Force. As such, Harkun executed Kory upon her return to him, ending the young acolyte's short career.
- "Lord Zash has tasked me with sorting through you refuse to find one worthy of being her apprentice, and I intend to do just that."
- ―Harkun, to Kory and her peers
Kory was a Human female alive during the turbulent period of galactic peace between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic as established by the Treaty of Coruscant. She hailed from the worlds of the Sith imperium but was born into a low social class. As an Imperial citizen of low birth, Kory was relegated to the status of slave, but she was eventually found to be Force-sensitive and so was inducted into the Sith Order, per Imperial law. The young woman began her training as a lowly acolyte, but around 3643 BBY, she was summoned to the Sith holy world of Korriban to become a student at the legendary Sith Academy on the planet.
The young Sith was summoned to the world to participate in a series of trials designed to find an apprentice for the Sith Lord known as Zash. Kory and five other former slaves—Balek, Wydr, Gerr, Niloc, and a sixth acolyte—were all chosen because of their humble backgrounds; Zash had prophesied that her apprentice would be of low birth, and so commanded the academy's Overseer Harkun to supervise the trials of the six acolytes and weed out the weak and unfit. Harkun, a harsh and bigoted trainer, gathered the hopefuls at the Korriban Arrival Port overlooking the Valley of the Dark Lords. There, he explained that Zash's first trial for them would be to enter the tomb of the ancient Dark Lord of the Sith Ajunta Pall. Within, they were to locate and be judged by the hermit Sith Lord Spindrall, whose opinion Zash held in high regard.
After the initiates were given their first task, Harkun singled out the sixth acolyte, who had arrived late, for harassment. Before leaving to find Spindrall, Kory offered her peer some reassuring words of encouragement. She then proceeded into the Valley of the Dark Lords and from there, into the Tomb of Ajunta Pall. Kory succeeded in finding Spindrall within the crypt's Sacrificial Chamber, where she was challenged by the elder Sith and ultimately judged as weak and unworthy. The acolyte left the tomb in order to meet up once more with her fellow students and Overseer Harkun, this time within the academy itself. Harkun had received word from Spindrall regarding his judgments of the students, and decided to make an example of Kory. To that end, the overseer called Kory forward during the meeting and announced that Spindrall had declared her to be unfit. Harkun followed up by shooting Kory with a blast of Force lightning, executing the young woman before her gathered peers.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Watch your back, friend. And don't worry. It'll be all right. He can't kill us all."
Unlike many Sith at the academy on Korriban, Kory was neither vindictive nor competitive. She readily offered encouragement and reassurance to her fellow acolyte when the student was being harassed by Harkun, despite the fact that the rest of the acolytes ran ahead to complete their first trial. Kory also failed to impress Spindrall, who evaluated his visitors on their ability to comprehend and adhere to the Code of the Sith, which was based on passion and power. Her inability to embody the tenets of the code gave Harkun an excuse to murder her and use her death as an example for her peers.
Behind the scenesEdit
Kory first appeared in the BioWare/LucasArts online roleplaying game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, released in 2011. She acts as a non-player character seen in cutscenes during the Sith Inquisitor storyline prelude mission, "Of Mind and Matter" on Korriban. Kory's voice actress is not specifically identified in the game's credits.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Sith Inquisitor storyline is seen in the video game Star Wars: The Old Republic. This forum post from The Old Republic's lead writer, Daniel Erickson, indicates that the game takes place ten years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant. According to The Essential Atlas, the Treaty is signed in 3653 BBY, placing the events of the Sith Inquisitor storyline around 3643 BBY.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Inquisitor Mission: "Of Mind and Matter" on Korriban
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—All character class stories begin during the Cold War.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Multiple references throughout the game indicate that individuals from Imperial space speak with English accents, while Republic characters are largely given American accents. Kory speaks with a notable English accent.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Empire Mission: "The Secret of Cave 52" on Balmorra
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Inquisitor Mission: "In the Halls of Traitors" on Dromund Kaas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Credits