Kothlis was a Bothan colony world located in the Kothlis system of the Bothan sector in the Mid Rim. It was the fourth of seven planets in the star system, and was orbited by three small moons and an asteroid field.
The colony of Kothlis was located in the Kothlis system of Bothan sector at galactic coordinates R-14. The planet orbited Koth'lar in the fourth position. The world was largely oceanic with many scenic islands, covered in palm trees and dotted with beaches. Many of these islands were grouped together in atolls. The water in some places was shallow enough for AT-ATs to wade through. The planet featured the Koth Ice Cap at its northern pole and the Lis Ice Cap at its southern pole.
The planet's atmosphere was rich in oxygen, making it beneficial to most Humanoids.[source?] While on Kothlis in 3.5 ABY, Luke Skywalker noted to himself that the daytime air smelled of warm and moldy cheese.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
In 3.5 ABY, Kothlis was the site of the Battle of Kothlis, a battle in a sequence of several in the Rebel Alliance's attempt to steal the plans to the second Death Star. The plans were decoded in a safe house in Tal'cara. Luke Skywalker and Koth Melan observed the decoding but in the midst of it a group of bounty hunters looking for Luke burst in. The data was saved by a Bothan tech who ran out a back exit but Melan was killed and Skywalker captured. The surviving techs were able to get the computer core up to the waiting blockade runner Razor, but it was caught by the Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Motivator
Rogue Squadron was sent rendezvous with Razor, and arrived from hyperspace as the Motivator was drawing the corvette into its hangar with a tractor beam. The Rogues successfully downed the Imperial warship, but the Star Destroyer plunged toward the planet, forcing Rogue Leader Wedge Antilles and his wingmen to go down surface to retrieve the plans from the Star Destroyer wreckage.
Once the wreckage had been located, Crix Madine led a small strike force of Rebel commandos, who were to infiltrate the Star Destroyer and retrieve the plans. All AT-AT and AT-PT units were able to break out of the warship to assault the Rebel's transport. However, the Rogues managed to bring down the heavy walkers in T-47 airspeeders. After Rogue Squadron successfully breached the hull using Y-wing bombing runs, the commandos were able to retrieve the plans and send them to Rebel Alliance High Command.
Behind the scenesEdit
There are two conflicting sources for the Battle of Kothlis, the 2001 video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, and the 1999 video game Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. This article follows the former source, as it is the later source and was pictured in the art book Star Wars Art: Visions. In Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, the location of the ground battle serves as a location for Versus Mode matches.
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Wanted by Cracken
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Luke and Melan Are Ambushed)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Xizor Sharpens His Claws)
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Pirates & Privateers
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 19 (MID2, Planets of the Mid Rim)
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars Art: Visions
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Balance of the Force (Card: Mission at Kothlis)
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The New Essential Chronology places the events of Shadows of the Empire in 3.5 ABY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Shadows of the Empire novel
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare