Krakana were aquatic creatures that lived on Mon Calamari. They were believed by many to be some of the most dangerous creatures on the planet. A krakana had tentacles tipped with deadly pincers, could swim at high speeds, and had several rows of sharp teeth. They were relatives of the keelkana.
When Han and Leia Solo were on vacation to Mon Calamari with their family, Leia told her son, Anakin Solo, not to play in the water because of the krakana. Later, Anakin would use that excuse whenever his siblings told him not to go somewhere by responding "See it's okay, no krakana!"
They were the source of krakana filet and were the inspiration for FIDO, a New Republic defense droid. They were also the namesake for the Krakana, an aquatic vessel used by the Mon Calamari Rangers in the Second Imperial Civil War.
- Star Wars: Republic 29: The Hunt for Aurra Sing, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- The Cestus Deception (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire 19: Target: Vader (Mentioned only)
- Dark Apprentice (First appearance)
- Champions of the Force (Mentioned only)
- The Crystal Star (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant (Mentioned only)
- Fate of the Jedi: Omen (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Legacy 32: Fight Another Day, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Droids
- Alien Anthology
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 88 (MON2, Mon Calamari)
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia