- "Of course. I've been to Tatooine, actually, and bagged a krayt dragon there. Its pearls paid for the upgrades on the Jewel."
- ―Nakari Kelen
Krayt dragons were large, carnivorous reptiles that hailed from Tatooine, a desert planet in the Outer Rim region of the galaxy. They came in two subspecies and, despite their fierceness, were hunted for the precious pearls found in their bodies.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Krayt dragons were giant carnivorous reptiles that came in two subspecies: the smaller and more common canyon krayt, and the larger greater krayt. Due to their large size and ferocity, they were the apex predators of Tatooine.
Behind the scenesEdit
Although a Krayt dragon's skeleton appeared in the 1977 movie Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, living specimens made their first appearance in canon in Disney Interactive's mobile strategy game Star Wars: Commander, which was released on August 21, 2014 for iOS devices. In celebration of the game's second anniversary, players were awarded five Krayt dragon gift units, along with five Droideka Oppressors and five Droideka Sentinels.
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Nest (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance) (Skeleton only)
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (call)
- Star Wars: Commander
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront (Skeleton only)
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as krayt dragon)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded