- "You can call me the Gamemaster. Before we're through, I expect you'll think of a few other things to call me."
- ―Kreel, as the gamemaster, to Luke Skywalker
Sergeant Kreel, designated Agent 5241, was an undercover stormtrooper and SCAR trooper of the Galactic Empire, serving in the 501st Legion under the direct command of Darth Vader. He operated as the gamemaster in Grakkus the Hutt's arena on Nar Shaddaa. He was tasked with training new candidates to fight in the arena, including Luke Skywalker. During Skywalker's arena fight with Kongo the Disemboweler, Agent 5241 contacted the Empire to inform them that Skywalker was on Nar Shaddaa. After his mission on Nar Shaddaa was complete, Kreel was given command of an elite group of SCAR troopers, designated Task Force 99.
Age of the EmpireEdit
Kreel was born on the planet Chagar IX. When he was four, Kreel watched a man die. It made him cry like a baby for a dozen more times. Two years later, Kreel watched his own father being murdered in front of him, but he did not cry. His mother was also said to have died in the arenas. He then started to kill people and worked in the fighting pits. Kreel made the fighting pits his way of life in order to survive. Sometime later when Kreel first saw the Galactic Empire's stormtroopers, he viewed them as being beautiful. After the Empire toppled Chagar IX's warlords and shut down the fighting pits, Kreel and his people were given jobs, a sense of purpose, and peace. When he was old enough, Kreel joined the Stormtrooper Corps.
He then went to the Imperial Academy, where he became friends with a ranger named Izak Anzio of Agamar. During their first mission together, Izak was killed by the Rebels' mortars before their transport landed. Kreel then killed every Rebel he could find that day and vowed to continue doing so. Kreel eventually became a sergeant in the 501st Legion.
Infiltrating Grakkus's PalaceEdit
He was then recruited by the Sith Lord, Darth Vader for a deep undercover assignment; to infiltrate Grakkus the Hutt's palace on Nar Shaddaa. He posed as one of Grakkus's greatest fighting slaves that he had bought. In his role, Kreel trained Wookiees, lizard men and space pirates to fight in the arena for Grakkus and his audience. He called himself the "Gamemaster".
Eventually, he was given Luke Skywalker to train for Grakkus's games. Along with the MagnaGuards, Kreel taught Skywalker how to fight. He spoke with Grakkus and watched as the MagnaGuards fought Skywalker. Later, he was shown the beast that Skywalker would face. Kreel then took Skywalker to the arena to fight Kongo the Disemboweler. Kreel soon contacted a group of TIE/ln space superiority starfighters, informing them that Skywalker was there.
Kreel triggered Kongo's shock collar and then took out Grakkus's MagnaGuards using a lightsaber. He then arrested Grakkus, telling him that his arena was closed. He was joined by several of the TIE pilots who surrounded Skywalker. However, as they were taking Grakkus and Skywalker, Grakkus initiated an E.M.P. that disabled Kreel's and the TIE pilots guns. Kreel then drew his lightsaber as Kongo was revived. Kreel attempted to subdue Skywalker but was attacked by Grakkus. He ordered the pilots and stormtroopers to capture Skywalker and his allies. Afterwards, Kreel spoke with Vader about Skywalker as he showed the Sith Lord Grakkus' collection of Jedi artifacts.
Task Force 99Edit
Not long after Nar Shaddaa, Kreel was given command of a SCAR trooper squad, Task Force 99. Kreel and the squad then went to Sunspot Prison to find Kolar Ludd. Kreel and his squad were given a new assignment, on the Ghost Moon. There, they were able to shoot down the Rebels' Taylander shuttle. He and his Squad then attacked of the rebel forces, with Kreel destroying a tank with his lightsaber. The attack was successful, with Kreel and his squad capturing Admiral Verette, and interrogating him.
Kreel then had Verette tied to his shuttle and sent it to the captured Star Destroyer Harbinger as distraction, while he and his SCAR troopers boarded the Harbinger to retake it. Kreel then fought and dueled Skywalker, confirming to Luke that he was the Gamemaster from Grakkus's arena. During the fighting, Kreel was contacted by Vader and was warned not to injure Skywalker- a contact that allowed Skywalker to sense Vader's presence, leaving him distracted. Kreel took advantage of Luke's attempt to use The Force, which he claimed to just get in the way of true fighting skill- but before he could fully overpower the young Jedi, Luke struck out with a Force push that rocked the entire Star Destroyer, trapping Kreel under wreckage and debris. While Luke and the others escaped, Kreel ordered his team to salvage the mission by destroying the Star Destroyer, while he used his lightsaber to cut off his own arm at the shoulder, allowing him to rejoin them as they escaped the ship. While Vader was furious that Kreel and his SCAR team had thoroughly failed in every one of their objectives, Kreel and the Task Force escaped the brunt of his wrath by presenting a valuable captive- the Protocol droid C-3PO.
Kreel and SCAR Squadron took 3PO to the Devastator where they attempted to interrogate him in order to find the Rebel fleet or any new bases. However, Kreel was ordered to get rid of 3PO by Vader. Despite Vader's orders, Kreel decided to use 3PO as bait to lure the Rebels to them.
Kreel and SCAR Squad later confronted the rebels again on the planet Crait, where the Rebels were attempting to build a new base. SCAR Squad engaged the rebel forces on the planet, but were defeated. The squad was able to escape, however Kreel's lightsaber was destroyed in a duel with Skywalker.
- Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II (First mentioned as the gamemaster)
- Star Wars 10: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part III (First appearance, as the gamemaster)
- Star Wars 11: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part IV (First identified as Agent 5241)
- Star Wars 12: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part V (First identified as Kreel)
- Star Wars 19: Rebel Jail, Part IV
- Star Wars 21: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part I
- Star Wars 22: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part II (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Star Wars 23: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part III
- Star Wars 24: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part IV
- Star Wars 25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part V
- Star Wars 26: Yoda's Secret War, Part I
- Star Wars 36: Revenge of the Astromech
- Star Wars 37: Imperial Pride
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Storms of Crait 1
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars 21: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part I
- ↑ In the 2016 reference book Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded, it is stated that the stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire were all humans.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars 10: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part III
- ↑ Star Wars 25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part V
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars 11: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part IV
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars 12: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part V
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars 19: Rebel Jail, Part IV
- ↑ Star Wars 23: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part III
- ↑ Star Wars 24: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part IV
- ↑ Star Wars 25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part V
- ↑ Star Wars 26: Yoda's Secret War, Part I
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Storms of Crait 1