- "The heart of the lightsaber, the crystal is."
Kyber crystals were rare, Force-attuned crystals that grew in nature and were found on scattered planets across the galaxy. They were used by the Jedi and the Sith in the construction of their lightsabers. As part of Jedi training, younglings were sent to the Crystal Caves of the ice planet of Ilum to harvest crystals and then construct their own lightsabers. There were also larger, rarer crystals of great power and that, according to legends, were used at the heart of ancient superweapons by the Sith.
- "The kyber crystal resonates with the Force."
- ―Kanan Jarrus
Kyber crystals could be found in Ilum's Crystal Caves, in the crust of the Outer Rim world Lothal, and a few other planets. The crystals concentrated energy in a unique manner and were attuned to the Force, resonating with it. They were a critical component in the construction of lightsabers, focusing energy into the weapon's distinct plasma blade. As younglings, Jedi traveled to the ice caves to harvest their own crystals, which they then used to build their lightsabers. The Force guided their selection, finding a crystal that matched them as Jedi. Crystals lacked color before they were chosen by a Jedi. Once chosen, most lightsabers became blue or green, though other shades were created in rare instances, most notably Mace Windu's purple blade, the Rodian Jedi Huulik's purple blade, the yellow blades of the Jedi Temple Guards, the black darksaber, and Ahsoka Tano's white lightsabers. On the other hand, the Sith had distinctive red blades.
Kyber crystals were inherently attuned to the light side of the Force, and would attempt to resist any effort by dark side practitioners to utilize them in lightsabers. To this end, the only way a Sith, or other darksider could make use of a kyber crystal was to use the Force to dominate the crystal, bending it to their will. This process would cause the crystal to "bleed", as if it were a living organism, resulting in the distinctive crimson-bladed lightsabers synonymous with the Sith. However it was also possible to "heal" a kyber crystal corrupted in this way. The only known instance of purifying a corrupted kyber crystal was when Ahsoka Tano purified the two crystals she retrieved from the Sixth Brother's lightsaber following his defeat. In this case, the crystals turned white.
Kyber crystals were sturdy enough to survive the violent explosion of a lightsaber's power grid, such as those caused by accidentally inverting the emitter matrix during the weapon's assembly. It was possible to create synthetic kyber crystals, though their artificial nature made them highly unstable and explosive.
- "Long ago in forgotten times, when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were, of unimaginable power. Always at their heart, a kyber crystal was."
During ancient wars between the Jedi and the Sith, in which both sides fought for control over the galaxy, superweapons were created by the Sith that were powered by giant kyber crystals. The Sith temple on the planet Malachor was one such weapon. Although these stories were considered legends, a giant kyber crystal was discovered on Utapau during the Clone Wars. The Confederacy of Independent Systems attempted to acquire the crystal, but they were discovered by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker. The Jedi were able to destroy the crystal, though Yoda was concerned that Darth Sidious would discover another giant kyber crystal in order to construct another superweapon.
After the fall of the Galactic Republic and the rise of the Galactic Empire, Sidious—publicly known as Emperor Palpatine—and his Empire constructed the Death Star, a battle station capable of destroying entire planets. Kyber crystals were used as part of the Death Star's superlaser and the Empire continued to search for new crystals five years before the Battle of Yavin. One such crystal was located by the rebels from Lothal, who discovered its location and destroyed it. The destruction produced a large shockwave, destroying everything in its path.
Known crystal colorsEdit
The following is a list of all known lightsaber blade colors:
- Black (such as the darksaber)
- Blue (such as Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber)
- Green (such as Yoda's lightsaber)
- Purple (such as Mace Windu's lightsaber)
- Red (such as Darth Vader's lightsaber)
- White (such as Ahsoka Tano's lightsabers)
- Yellow (such as Jedi Temple Guard's lightsaber)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength" (First identified as kyber crystal)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "In Search of the Crystal"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crystal Crisis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Breaking Ranks" (Mentioned only)
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- "TK-146275"—Star Wars Insider 166
- Heir to the Jedi
- Star Wars: Uprising
- "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku" (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ; images #3, 7 (of 22)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- ↑ Ahsoka
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength"
- ↑ Star Wars: Uprising
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Breaking Ranks"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Dave Filoni FaceBook Q&A