Kylo Ren's TIE silencer was a TIE/vn space superiority fighter used by Kylo Ren during the First Order's war with the Resistance. Ren's use of the TIE silencer allowed Sienar-Jaemus Fleet Systems to refine its onboard system from his detailed post-flight reports.
By flying the silencer against his enemies, Ren continued two traditions—the Imperial tradition that prototype starfighters were tested by aces, with Ren following notable Imperial pilots such as Vult Skerris and Darth Vader; and the tradition that as the son of Han Solo and the grandson of Anakin Skywalker, the former Ben Solo was a natural in the cockpit.
As with other TIE/vn space superiority fighters, the TIE silencer was noted for its speed and ferocity, as well as its laser cannons and missile launchers. The silencer was reminiscent of the Galactic Empire's TIE/IN interceptor, TIE Advanced x1, and TIE/D Defender. It also featured customized flight controls specifically made for its test pilot.
Kylo Ren, the apprentice of Supreme Leader Snoke, was an expert pilot like his father and grandfather, Han Solo and Anakin Skywalker, respectively, before him. Due to his piloting skills, he field tested a unique starfighter known as the TIE silencer—following in the tradition of Imperial ace pilots, such as Vult Skerris and Darth Vader, who flew prototype fighters. Developed by Sienar-Jaemus Fleet Systems, the corporation utilized Ren's detailed post-flight reports to improve the vessel's onboard system. As the champion of the First Order, Ren utilized the silencer in his mission to destroy the Resistance.
In 34 ABY Ren participated in the First Order's attack on the Resistance fleet shortly after the evacuation of D'Qar. He used the TIE silencer to destroy the Raddus' hangar, killing several Resistance pilots including Tallissan Lintra before moving to attack the bridge. However, he was unable to open fire on his target due to his mother, General Leia Organa, who was located the bridge at the time of the attack. Ren was then forced to pilot his starfighter back to the Supremacy at the advice of General Armitage Hux, due to the Resistance fleet managing to outpace the First Order flagship, thereby leaving him without support and at risk of being shot down.
Behind the scenesEdit
Kylo Ren's TIE silencer was created and developed for Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, the eighth film in the Star Wars saga, which was released on December 15, 2017. The ship was officially revealed on The Star Wars Show on July 19, 2017. However, prior to the film's release, Kylo Ren's TIE silencer was introduced to the non-canon video game Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes on November 9, 2017.
Although Kylo Ren's TIE silencer was originally planned by the Industrial Light & Magic VFX team to feature missile pods on its underside and shoot them off, VFX supervisor Mike Mullholland has revealed that during the film's early development, director Rian Johnson received an early prototype of the TIE silencer's toy version by Hasbro Inc., so the FFX team were forced to redesign the fighter.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi: Rose and Finn's Secret Mission
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 1 (Mentioned only)
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 2
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Book and Model – Make Your Own TIE Silencer
- Star Wars: Glow-in-the-Dark Starfighters - Sticker Activity Book
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75179 Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75196 A-Wing vs. TIE Silencer)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Activity Book with Stickers (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
- (First identified as Kylo Ren's TIE silencer)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5
- ↑ https://swgohevents.com/event/first-order-relentless-iii
- ↑ Whitbrook, James (2018-02-16). A Toy Design Actually Forced a Change to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. io9. Retrieved on February 17, 2018. “Initially, the plan was to have missiles on the underside, and shoot them off, and that was it. But halfway through production Rian got a toy, a prototype toy of the Kylo fighter. And they had the missiles on the side wings! So we went and redesigned a bit of it [in the movie] so that we could open it up and pop them out. I’ve heard of the toys’ influence in the past, but that was the first time for me.”
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront 2: Official Starfighter Assault Gameplay Trailer
- ↑ The Galaxy Will Keep Getting Bigger Post-Launch. Electronic Arts. ea.com (2017-06-10). Archived from the original on June 11, 2017. Retrieved on June 11, 2017. “This starts with the Star Wars™: The Last Jedi™ Season coming this December, where all Star Wars Battlefront II players will get access to Finn, Captain Phasma, the new planet Crait, and more.”