Kyuzos were a sentient humanoid species native to the gravity-heavy world of Phatrong. The species was equipped with well-developed muscles, possessed skin which could be green or gray, and had wrinkled faces which sported a pair of piercing, yellowish eyes. A species known for its strong sense of honor and justice, notable Kyuzos included the bounty hunter Embo and Constable Zuvio of Niima Outpost, a frontier trading post located on the planet Jakku.
A humanoid sentient species, Kyuzos originated on the gravity-heavy world of Phatrong. Life under these circumstances resulted in their muscles being far better developed than the average bipedal species'. They had green or gray skin, and wrinkled faces that sported a pair of piercing, yellowish eyes with black, slit-shaped pupils. Vision problems were common among Kyuzos and they had sensitive respiration systems, which resulted in some Kyuzos wearing bandages or a breathing mask over their face to assist them in coping with uncomfortable climates. They varied in height and build, with some, such as the well-known bounty hunter Embo, being lean and standing 1.99 meters tall, and others, like Constable Zuvio, being stocky and standing 1.6 meters in height. Some Kyuzos had three fingers on a each hand while others had four.
Society and cultureEdit
A species known for its strong sense of justice and honor, some Kyuzos were farmers by profession while others were warriors, the latter of whom often found work in law enforcement or as bounty hunters. Kyuzos spoke their own language, but also were capable of understanding Basic. It was traditional for members of the species to wear wide-brimmed, pan-shaped hats known as Kyuzo war helmets, which could be utilized as a thrown weapon or function as a shield.
Kyuzos in the galaxyEdit
Originally from the gravity-heavy world of Phatrong, the Kyuzo species was found throughout the galaxy. A male Kyuzo from his species' homeworld, Embo found great success as a bounty hunter during the Clone Wars, and at one point in the conflict was ranked second only to the infamous Duros Cad Bane. Some Kyuzos settled the farming village of Jowloon on Jaresh, an arboreal world located in the Corva sector of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories, where they were led by an elderly Kyuzo matriarch named Nyessa, who lived there along with her cousin Grimshaw. During the Galactic Civil War, the villagers were extorted by the Galactic Empire until, with the assistance of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, they were able to force the Empire out of their settlement. Thirty years after the Battle of Endor, a male Kyuzo constable named Zuvio enforced the law in Niima Outpost, a frontier trading post located on the mostly lawless Western Reaches world of Jakku, along with his deputies, his cousins Drego and Streehn.
Behind the scenesEdit
Kyuzos first appeared in "Bounty Hunters," the seventeenth episode of the canon animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' second season. The species' name was taken from one of the character names in The Seven Samurai (七人の侍), a movie by the late Akira Kurosawa, to whom "Bounty Hunters" was dedicated in memory of. The species may been inspired by alternate designs for Neimoidian warriors worked on by Sang Jun Lee for Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, one of which featured a breathing mask and bore a close resemblance to Embo.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Box"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "An Old Friend"
- Dark Disciple
- Star Wars Rebels – "Fighter Flight" (Depicted as graffiti art)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- "High Noon on Jakku"
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- (First identified as Kyuzo)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 "High Noon on Jakku"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Box"