- "She's a Rebel! Oh, I knew I liked Ellie. She's on our side!"
- "Before I went into service on this world, I was privately owned. My last master had me specially outfitted for high stress functions…"
Vanis was on a mission to retrieve the plans of the second Death Star from the Bothans, to pass them to the Rebel command. Unfortunately, Vanis was captured by the Empire on an unnamed planet. He had time enough to hide the plans on the memory banks of Ellie, and leave a message to other Rebels in his downed starfighter. Then, Vanis sent Ellie to work undercover with the Imperials, to protect her and the information.
Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa went to this planet looking for Vanis. They found Ellie and asked her about Vanis, but this triggered a warning in her memory banks, alerting Imperial troops of the Rebels. During the ensuing firefight, Ellie was injured by a stray blaster. Skywalker and Organa took Ellie with them while escaping, earning her trust.
While working with Skywalker and Organa, Ellie found Vanis, who had been tortured by Darth Vader in an attempt to lure Skywalker to a trap. Unable to withstand the horrible show, Ellie provided Skywalker with the plans, bought him and Organa time to escape and then clutched Vanis. She self-destructed, killing Vanis but also his wardens, and allowing Skywalker and his team to destroy the Imperial installation.
Behind the scenesEdit
Ellie's appearance was intended to resemble early production sketches of C-3PO. In the story she is referred to as an older make than Threepio, again in reference to her appearance predating Threepio's final design.
- Star Wars 80: Ellie (First appearance)
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Red Five"—Star Wars Insider 151 (Picture only)