LIN-V8K was a LIN demolitionmech autonomous minelayer—a model of black-plated fifth-degree mining droid—that was amongst the droids offered for sale to the Lars homestead on the planet Tatooine by a group of Jawas in the year 0 BBY. The Jawas had traveled across the Dune Sea desert in a sandcrawler and lined the wares they had for offer up along the side of the vehicle next to the homestead, where Owen Lars, the owner of the homestead, inspected them. Lars chose not to purchase LIN-V8K, instead selecting the protocol droid C-3PO and the R5 unit R5-D4, who had been positioned next to the LIN in the line. The R5 unit's motivator proved faulty however, and Lars quickly exchanged it for the astromech droid R2-D2. Imperial stormtroopers later killed the Jawas who owned LIN-V8K while trying to locate R2-D2 and C-3PO, leaving the sandcrawler to be later found by Lars' adopted son Luke Skywalker and the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. LIN-V8K stood 0.56 meters tall.
Behind the scenesEdit
LIN-V8K first appeared in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, released May 25, 1977. The droid went unnamed until receiving a card in the "Premiere Limited" expansion of the Legends Star Wars Customizable Card Game made by Decipher, Inc. and released in 1995. The name was then first used in canon in the Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia reference book, released April 4, 2017.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as LIN-V8K)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars Year By Year: A Visual History, Updated and Expanded Edition
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: LIN-V8K)