|LR1K sonic cannon|
|Usage and history|
The LR1K sonic cannon, also known as the Geonosian sonic cannon or the Geonosian defense platform, was a high-powered artillery emplacement weapon produced by the Gordarl Weaponsmiths on Geonosis prior and during the Clone Wars.
The LR1K cannon used sonic blaster technology that employed internal oscillators to produce a devastating sonic blast. The high impact concussive sonic energy was stabilized by a containment sphere within the cannon until impact against a target, at which point it broke up to create an omnidirectional blast. Commonly, the LR1K required two Geonosian or battle droid gunners to operate, although the cannon's advanced, highly-precise targeting computers were capable of doing most of the work. A critical hit with this weapon would instantly kill any average clone.
The sonic cannon was rushed into production when Archduke Poggle the Lesser joined the growing Separatist movement, prior to the official creation of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. An arsenal of sonic cannons were kept at the Petranaki arena, for use in the event of a creature break-out or a crowd control situation.[source?] Four cannons were deployed against a Jedi strike team in the arena, and many others were later deployed during the Battle of Geonosis against invading clone troopers on the planet's dusty plains. They were later used to defend Geonosis against the Republic's second planetary invasion. Several of the sonic cannons were deployed to defend mines on the planet Rishi.
Behind the scenesEdit
The sonic cannon first appeared with the release of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. They were computer generated.
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars game
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (First identified as LR1K)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Death Trap" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Geonosis Saga"
- Star Wars: Republic 67: Forever Young
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Gauntlet of Death
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Trading Card Game: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Trading Card Game: Sith Rising
- Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Set: 9491 Geonosian Cannon)