Lama Su was a male Kaminoan who served as Prime Minister of Kamino, his home planet, both before and during the Clone Wars. Prior to the rise of the Galactic Empire, he oversaw the creation of the Grand Army of the Republic.
A request for an armyEdit
- "Master Sifo-Dyas was killed almost ten years ago."
"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. But I'm sure he would have been proud of the army we've built for him."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lama Su
Prior to the Invasion of Naboo, Lama Su was commissioned by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas to create a clone army for the Galactic Republic. Sifo-Dyas was killed soon afterwards by members of the Pyke Syndicate, and Su found himself in league with the Sith Lord Darth Tyranus. From Tyranus, he received a genetic template for the clones: a bounty hunter named Jango Fett. He was also given a bio-chip that was to be implanted within each clone trooper as a safeguard against betrayal from rogue Jedi.
A visit from a JediEdit
- "Magnificent, aren't they?"
- ―Lama Su, showing the Grand Army of the Republic to Obi-Wan Kenobi
A decade after Sifo-Dyas' death, Lama Su was visited by the Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, who had come to Kamino in pursuit of Jango Fett. The Prime Minister assumed Kenobi's purpose was to inspect the clone army, and he assured the Jedi it would be completed on schedule. Eager to impress his guest, Su proceeded to show Obi-Wan the Kaminoan combat training and educational facilities of Tipoca City.
The Clone WarsEdit
- "Ever since the unfortunate death of Jango Fett, we have had to stretch his DNA to produce more clones."
- ―Lama Su, to Shaak Ti
The start of the Clone Wars and the death of Jango Fett at the hands of Mace Windu left Su with a limited supply of genetic material to use in the production of new clones. As such, the Kaminoan prime minister was forced to find new ways of resupplying the Grand Army of the Republic.
The failure of Domino SquadEdit
- "You Jedi show too much compassion."
- ―Lama Su, reprimanding Shaak Ti
Su was greatly disappointed in the troopers his alternative cloning methods produced. When Jedi Master Shaak Ti approached him to discuss the failure of Domino Squad, he suggested its members be terminated. Hoping to create more successful soldiers in the future, Su requested a new genetic template be found for them.
An attack on KaminoEdit
- "I wish our arrival wasn't under such circumstances. We believe Grievous is planning a Separatist attack on Kamino."
"But the Republic blockade is far too strong. They would not dare."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lama Su
Su later went with Shaak Ti to welcome Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and the 501st Legion to Tipoca City. The prime minister was surprised to learn that the Confederacy of Independent Systems intended to attack Kamino, despite the Republic military blockade that surrounded his homeworld. In preparation for the coming battle, Su positioned himself within Tipoca City's central command center.
The conspiracy of Protocol 66Edit
- "We must contact Lord Tyranus."
- ―Lama Su, to Nala Se
Near the end of the Clone Wars, Su was approached by Nala Se, who informed him that Protocol 66 had activated prematurely in the clone trooper CT-5385. Su contacted Darth Tyranus to share this news with him and was ordered to terminate the defective clone so an autopsy could be performed on his body. He was also instructed to remove the clone's bio-chip and send it to Tyranus before the Jedi Order could discover the true nature of the chip.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "The army?"
"Yes, a clone army. And, I must say, one of the finest we've ever created."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lama Su
As the overseer of the Grand Army's creation, Lama Su was very proud of his clone troopers and regarded them as one of the finest achievements in his people's history. He also took great pride in his planet's combat training and educational facilities, both of which were instrumental in the development of the clone army. Despite his relationship with the Jedi who commanded the army, Su was mystified by their methods. He regarded the Jedi Order as a cult and also failed to understand why they felt compassion for the clone troopers under their command.
Su was a Kaminoan male who stood at 2.29 meters. He was a tall, lanky alien with white skin. His eyes were black and had white pupils. A unique crest topped the prime minister's head, and his nostrils were connected to his upper lip by a thin, "U"-shaped slit. Lama Su's hands had three fingers, and his feet were small and hoof-like.
He wore white armor that covered his chest and shoulders. A long collar protected his neck, as well as the back of his head. Su's arms, legs, and torso were covered in black fabric, and a purple belt with an orange buckle that appeared around his waist. White, metallic cuffs shielded Su's wrists, and long strips of black fabric with a silver lining and red interior hid his legs from view.
Behind the scenesEdit
Lama Su first appeared in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. Originally intended to be a female character, he was portrayed in the film through CGI and voiced by Anthony Phelan. In the computer-animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Su was voiced by Bob Bergen.
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Attack of the Clones Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Clone Cadets"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Conspiracy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Fugitive" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 4.0 4.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Conspiracy"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Clone Cadets"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- ↑ http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode301.html