The battle involved the population of Cloud City and other colonies, who, with extensive support of Alliance cells as well as Lando's Commandos, rebelled against the Imperial garrison which had taken control over the planet´s mining colonies.
Prior to the operation, information on the colony's defenses were handed over to the Rebel Alliance by Tian Chyler, a disgruntled Imperial Security Bureau agent working in Cloud City, with the aid of Alliance sympathizer Willrow Hood. This information proved vital to winning the battle.
After the Battle of Endor, Lando was promised all the fighters the Alliance could spare, but many resources were taken up by the defense of the temporary rebel capital at Endor, or were engaged in liberation struggles elsewhere. Nevertheless, Calrissian had some ideas of his own, and managed to get a task force together. In addition, the citizens of Cloud City were already prepped for the revolt against Imperial occupation due to Palpatine's death at Endor being leaked by the Rebel Alliance.
The main battle was waged shortly after Endor and raged both in the air and on the floating settlements of the gas-giant. The Imperial faction ruled by the Force-sensitive clone trooper X1 also attacked the city, hoping to gain Tibanna resources in his bid for power. His brother, the Jedi Knight X2, helped Calrissian in battling the invaders. The Jedi took out a Vindicator-class heavy cruiser by destroying a nearby tibanna gas platform.
Cloud City's administrator aide Lobot was freed by the Rebels and helped them gain control over the city's main computer, locking out the Imperials. In his last attempt to gain control over the city, X1 sent a detachment of Dark troopers, but even they were unsuccessful in reversing the situation.
Calrissian returned to the planet later on to assume leadership of the colony.
Behind the scenesEdit
The aftermath of the battle was added to the DVD re-release of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, as well as shown in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader's ending. The battle itself was later expanded upon in the 2009 video game Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron.
- Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (Cutscene only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance) (DVD re-release)
- The Truce at Bakura (First mentioned)
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (under "Chyler, Tian" and "Cloud City")
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
- "Classic Moment: Lando's Second Surprise"—Star Wars Insider 152
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- ↑ The battle takes place after the Battle of Endor, which The New Essential Chronology places in 4 ABY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 The Truce at Bakura
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ The Glove of Darth Vader