- "Chewbacca went on to become a soldierr in the New Republic. He aided in Kashyyyk's liberation afterr the Battle of Endorr."
The Liberation of Kashyyyk, also known as the Battle of Kashyyyk, was a battle of the Galactic Civil War in 4 ABY, occurring eight months after the Battle of Endor. It saw the deaths of Moff Hindane Darcc and Grand Admiral Peccati Syn, as well as the liberation of the Wookiees.
Imperial Moff Hindane Darcc, seeing the native Wookiees as an obstacle to complete control of the planet Kashyyyk, hired the Trandoshan slaver Pekt to round up the Wookiees for shipment to Kessel. The Government Tree and nearby Kepitenochan were quickly devastated. Thousands of Wookiees were captured or killed within the first few days. In desperation, Attichitcuk contacted his son Chewbacca, who was unable to convince the Rebel Alliance to send assistance eight months after the Battle of Endor.
Han Solo and Chewbacca, arriving on Kashyyyk, attacked several groups of Trandoshans and freed a group of Wookiees that retook Kepitenochan, only to find the city heavily damaged and only one survivor: Weebacca. Together, they rebuilt the Government Tree and guarded it against multiple Imperial attacks. In doing so, the Wookiees reunited under the monument. However, they still could not contact the Alliance with signal jammers blocking their transmissions.
Betraying the Wookiee resistance, Weebacca told Solo and Chewbacca that the communications jammers were in Okikuti. Upon entering the city, they realized it was a trap, as Darcc's forces advanced on the Okikuti's gates while there was no exit. They cut through the trees to the nearby river and built sea ships to escape to Chenachochan. Destroying several Imperial sea frigates, they stole Imperial walkers from Tunnatutikan and met up with Shoran. Together, they destroyed the signal jammers with the help of Imperial equipment captured from the Imperial Depot and four Cruisers. They were then able to send a transmission to the Rebel Alliance, which was received by Lando Calrissian.
Liberating the rest of Chenachochan, the Wookiees captured an Imperial airbase and gained the support of the Ittummi Berserkers. Darcc's palace was destroyed by the united Wookiee Army and the traitor Weebacca was killed by Chewbacca. However, Darcc and Pekt escaped in a Lambda-class shuttle full of Wookiee prisoners.
Battle of the Avatar Orbital PlatformEdit
The Wookiees, led by Chewbacca and Solo, flew to the Avatar Orbital Platform and with the help of Rogue Squadron, Luke Skywalker and Lando Calrissian in the Millennium Falcon, they rescued Attichitcuk with the Wookiee captives, killed Moff Darcc and the Trandoshan slaver Pekt, and finally, blew the main reactor of the facility.
The New Republic Third Battle Group also fought in the battle under the command of Admiral Gial Ackbar. The fleet left from Bothan space and fought Grand Admiral Peccati Syn. Bothan agents sabotaged two of Syn's Interdictor cruisers. The agents also impersonated aids of Admiral Treuten Teradoc, who promised reinforcements to Syn from the Greater Plooriod sector. Ackbar's Home One and Captain Verrack's Maria caught Syn's flagship, the Silooth in a crossfire and destroyed its bridge in a proton torpedo barrage. Syn was killed when his ship was vaporized due to his underestimating Ackbar's tactics.
Following Kashyyyk's liberation, the Imperials abandoned the spice planet Kessel. Chewbacca, Solo, Skywalker, and Calrissian agreed to go there and rescue all the slaves there. Rogue Squadron and the Third Fleet then planned a raid on Brentaal IV, which resulted in the fall of the planet to the New Republic.
Admiral Ackbar privately admitted that the fleet's victory in the liberation was due to the Bothan's assistance.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Liberation of Kashyyyk was first mentioned in the 2000 novel Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial, written by James Luceno as part of The New Jedi Order. The next year, it was first shown in the Chewbacca campaign of the video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. The 2002 reference book The New Essential Guide to Characters's entry on Admiral Ackbar first named the conflict as the Battle of Kashyyyk.
An optional mission occurs if the player used the cheats "forcesight" and "forceexplore" to explore the map and the player directs attention to the desert area to the eastern corner. In it, two individuals are near the J-type 327 Nubian royal starship, while the Naboo queen is held captive by Tusken Raiders near Jundland Station. The player can easily complete the mission by summoning Simon the Killer Ewok, which eventually culminates in a duel with Darth Maul upon returning to the ship.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (First appearance) (First identified as Liberation of Kashyyyk)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial (First mentioned)
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Mentioned only)
- The Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- "Who's Who: Imperial Grand Admirals"—Star Wars Insider 66
- The New Essential Guide to Characters (First identified as Battle of Kashyyyk)
- The New Essential Chronology
- Galaxy at War
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 67
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Notak is located in the Doldur sector, between the Hevvrol sector—site of the Hevvrol Sector Campaign—and the planet Druckenwell. The battle at Notak is confirmed to occur in approximately 39:10 per Before the Storm and The New Essential Chronology, which is also the general timeline placement for the Hevvrol Sector Campaign.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 3.27 3.28 3.29 3.30 3.31 3.32 3.33 3.34 3.35 3.36 3.37 3.38 3.39 3.40 3.41 3.42 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology places the liberation of Kashyyyk eight months after the Battle of Endor, which The Essential Atlas places in 39:3.
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 100% completion of the game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron: In the Empire's Service
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial