The Liberty was an MC80 Star Cruiser that served in the Alliance Fleet during the Galactic Civil War. It was the namesake of the Liberty type subclass. During the Battle of Endor, the Liberty was the first Rebel ship destroyed by the second Death Star battlestation.
The Liberty was due to be the original recipient of the Death Star plans according to Operation Skyhook; however, the sudden appearance of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Immortal caused the transfer of the plans from the Tantive IV to stop. Keyan Farlander and Hamo Blastwell, in R-22 Spearheads, helped two X-wings from the Liberty fight off the Imperial forces while both ships escaped and the corvette moved to Tatooine.[source?]
Shortly after the Battle of Hoth, the Liberty was one of the most active cruisers in the Rebel fleet. Under the command of Admiral Yamarus, the cruiser and its task force repeatedly led raids and "hit and run" strikes against Imperial facilities and warships. When information came to light on a series of raids being carried against civilian merchants in the Vilonis sector, the Liberty was sent to investigate.
Operating alone, it uncovered details about a series of Imperial experimental starfighters and proceeded to shut the TIE Experimental Project down. At this stage, her Tactical Officer was Commander Kupalo, an Imperial double-agent. At some point, it also was instrumental in setting up a mutual cargo-retrieval operation with Dunari as well as destroying a pirate group, the Hurrim.
Rebel pilot Ace Azzameen served aboard the cruiser for much of the period leading up to the Battle of Endor. Azzameen was famous for flying in the strike team responsible for the capture of the shuttle Tydirium and was possibly part of Lando Calrissian's crew—possibly a gunner—on the Millennium Falcon during the battle.
Following the discovery of the second Death Star, the Liberty was recalled to the main Alliance fleet in preparation for the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY. The Liberty was lost during the battle, gaining the dubious distinction of being the first ship destroyed by the new Death Star's superlaser.
Behind the scenesEdit
Because of her frequent appearances in video games (such as Azzameen's headquarters), the Liberty is one of the more commonly known Mon Calamari Cruisers.
The exact designation and specifications of this vessel are still matters of speculation, since the frequent appearances of Mon Cal Cruisers in books, games, films, and supplemental materials are rarely consistent.
The Liberty has lent its name to a visual layout of the Mon Cal Star Cruiser, in that any subsequent winged cruiser of approximately 1200 meters length is classified as a MC80 Liberty type Star Cruiser.
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (Co-op campaign)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Tag & Bink Are Dead (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- One Last Night in the Mos Eisley Cantina: The Tale of the Wolfman and the Lamproid (Indirect mention only)
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Mentioned only)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Liberty)
- Jedi Knights Trading Card Game – Masters of the Force (Card: Liberty)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (ACK2, Admiral Ackbar) (Indirect mention only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 12 (HOM1, Home One (MC80 Mon Calamar Star Cruiser))
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 113 (NAV2, Naval Tactics)
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "25 Years of Return of the Jedi!"—Star Wars Insider 105
- Star Wars: The Card Game – It Binds All Things (Card: Liberty)
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Empire at War
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Essential Reader's Companion places the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi in 4 ABY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader