- "Hold your fire. There's no life forms. It must have short-circuited""
- ―Gunnery Captain Bolvan, to Lietenant Hija
A life form indicator (LFI), though typically grouped with sensors, was technically a sophisticated computer program designed to be used in conjunction with other sensor types. They analyzed the data provided by other sensors to determine if a life form was present, and if so, what kind. For example, a full-spectrum transceiver might detect a 37.0 Celsius mobile heat source, massing at eighty kilograms, and that the ship's life support systems were providing a standard terrestrial atmosphere and gravity; an LFI would conclude that this being was probably a Human.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles (As "Life Form Indicator")
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook (As "life-form indicator")
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles, Second Edition
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, Second Edition
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition