A life support device was any implement that helped its user survive in settings that were polluted or otherwise inadapted to their natural life requirements. Life support systems made the interior of a starship capable of supporting life in the otherwise deadly environmental conditions of space. One important function of life support was to renew the breathable air inside the ship.
Some crafts, like the Imperial TIE/ln space superiority starfighter, lacked such systems, which forced their users to wear life support chest pieces with breather tubes connected to the helmet to provide necessary gases. Because he did not trust the life support of his dilapidated container tug, Woan Barso wore a vac-suit at all times.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Overlords" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Cold
- "Academy Cadets"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 18 (Mentioned only)
- "Sons of the Sky"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Darth Vader 6: Vader, Part VI (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 5: Aphra, Part V (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Phasma (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron Annual 1
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia