The Light Infantry Utility Vehicle (LIUV), also known as the First Order snowspeeder (or snow speeder), was a wedge-shaped assault craft used in frigid climates. The snowspeeder was manned by one First Order snowtrooper, and could hold two others, one of which could take control of the forward-mounted FWMB-10 repeating blaster cannon. Snowspeeders were present at Starkiller Base during the Assault on Starkiller Base thirty years after the Battle of Endor. The Resistance-affiliated individuals Finn and Rey stole one in order to infiltrate the thermal oscillator, a key point of the base. They briefly dueled with another snowspeeder before forcing it to crash, and they soon arrived at their destination. Shortly after, their ally the Wookiee Chewbacca borrowed it to return to the starship Millennium Falcon.
Behind the scenesEdit
The First Order snowspeeder is one of the vehicles used by the First Order. It appeared as part of merchandise released on Force Friday on September 4, 2015, leading up to Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.
For Episode VII, snowspeeders were meant to take part in a chase scene during the Battle of Starkiller Base, when Finn and Rey steal one and have to fight off another First Order speeder during their mission to take down the base's oscillator. Concept art was created for it, but it did not appear in the film. The scene was filmed but subsequently cut, and the deleted scene was included in the features of the home video release of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.
Based on the vehicle's appearance in its various toy incarnations, the First Order snowspeeder, unlike the Rebel Alliance's more fighter jet-like snowspeeder, fills the role of a general-purpose vehicle used for scouting and communications, akin to real life military Jeeps and Humvees.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short (2015 Episode 13: Poe Dameron vs. the First Order Snow Speeder)
- (Set: 75100 First Order Snowspeeder) (First mentioned, simultaneous with First Order Snowspeeder Hasbro)
- (First mentioned, simultaneous with 75100 First Order Snowspeeder)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as Light Infantry Utility Vehicle)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as light utility speeder truck)
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- "50 Things to Notice in Star Wars: The Force Awakens"—Star Wars Insider 165
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3
- ↑ The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 (Set: 75100 First Order Snowspeeder)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens A Junior Novel
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens