The lightsaber pike, also known as the lightsaber lance, was a unique weapon that resembled a primitive halberd or spear in many aspects. As staff weapons, they were typically considered the domain of exotic weapon specialists among the Jedi. They were notably used by all Jedi Temple Guards during the Clone Wars.
The long handle of the weapon was made of phrik alloy, which allowed it to resist lightsabers. At the end of the handle was a lightsaber blade that was shorter and thicker than a normal one. The blade could be activated by a switch further down the weapon's shaft. Including the blade, the weapon was almost as long as the wielder's body, and could keep enemies at a distance, giving the wielder the advantage of a longer reach. Lightsaber pikes could also sport a double blade.
Much like the double-bladed lightsaber, however, the weapon's length was also something of a hindrance, as it did not transition well into defending, and left the wielder extremely vulnerable if an opponent managed to close in. In addition to this, the pike required a considerable amount of open space to wield effectively. As such, a user who found himself in close quarters would be at a distinct disadvantage.
In the time of the Old Republic, both the Sith Empire and the Republic was overwhelmed by the sudden reveal of the empire of Zakuul. Among the forces from Zakuul were the famed Knights of Zakuul who had sworn to guard the Emperor of the Eternal Throne and his family. The knights were Force-sensitive and used a wide range of lightsaber weapons. Among them was the lightsaber pike, which could be used along with a blaster bolt reflective shield.
The Jedi Kazdan Paratus wielded a lightsaber pike, taking the weapon into exile with him on Raxus Prime, during the Great Jedi Purge. He ultimately wielded it against Darth Vader's apprentice, Galen Marek, and the weapon was destroyed in the ensuing melee.
Lightsaber pikes were also the favored weapons of the Emperor's Shadow Guard, elite guards with minor knowledge of the Force and lightsaber wielding skills. Starkiller fought several of these elite guards, once on Bespin as he attempted to rescue the Jedi Rahm Kota, and also on Raxus Prime when he returned to destroy an Imperial Star Destroyer shipyard so as to eliminate a source of fear and gain the confidence of others. Saber Pikes also saw occasional use by the Emperor's Royal Guard and the Imperial Senate Guard.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"
- The Force Unleashed novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed comic (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: Dark Side Apprentice) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Lure of the Dark Side (Card: Imperial Shadow Guard) (Picture only)