- "The Living Force allows Jedi to connect with the plants and animals that inhabit the world around them."
The Living Force was a view on the Force, accepted by the majority of Jedi throughout ages. The Living Force was thought to be present in most living beings, surrounding and penetrating them, thus making all living things connected by it. The Jedi believed the Living Force relied on their instincts and were attuned to other living beings around them. They were mindful of the future and the possible consequences of their actions, but remained focused on the present. The Living Force was viewed as having both the light and the dark side. The Jedi always had to be mindful of their actions to avoid the temptations of the dark side. Through following the Living Force, several Jedi were able to retain their identities after their physical death, becoming one with the Force and able to manifest themselves as Force ghosts. Proponents of the Living Force view, such as Qui-Gon Jinn, espoused a philosophy of "living in the moment," relied heavily on their instincts and concentrated more on sensitivity to living things, rather than fulfilling destiny, which was one of the main tenets of the Unifying Force philosophy.
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (First mentioned)
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 54 (Mentioned only) —
- Star Wars: Republic 53: Blast Radius (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 22" (Mentioned only)
- The Unifying Force
- Living Force Campaign Guide
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side