Lord was a title of nobility, deity, and, in past times, a military rank, such as a Jedi Lord. The female version of Lord was Lady. It was in common use among the Sith, usually used in lieu of Darth when formally referring to Dark Lords.
As a title of nobility, it was recognized by many different worlds as a position of power and authority. Many societies incorporated the title in their way of life and/or as a part of their governments. Several examples include:
- Lords and Ladies of the noble Houses of the Expanse of the Tapani sector.
- Lord Tion of the House of Tion of the Tion Hegemony.
- Lord Crueya Vandron of House Vandron of the Senex sector, Imperial Advisor.
It was considered a great honor to be granted the title of Lord by Emperor Palpatine. During the rule of the Galactic Empire, the Emperor would elevate several loyal servants to the rank and title of Lord for their service to him or for performing a great deed in name of the Empire. The members of the Imperial Ruling Council were addressed as such.
As a title of deity, "Lord" was used in various swear words and other phrases. For example, Leia Organa was known to use the phrase, "Lord knows how many...."
Behind the scenes
"Lord" as used by Leia may be the title of an Alderaanian deity. It may even imply that the Alderaanians are monotheistic.
Leia was known as "Lady Vader" among the Noghri, as she and her family were revered figures in their society.
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 1: Masters and Students of the Force
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization
- And the Band Played On: The Band's Tale (Mentioned only) (as Lady)
- Jedi's Honor
- Star Wars Annual 1: The Long Hunt (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 53: The Last Gift From Alderaan! (as Lady)
- Star Wars 54: Starfire Rising (as Lady)
- Planet of the Mists
- Mission to Lianna
- "The Longest Fall"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 11
- (as Lady)
- That's Entertainment: The Tale of Salacious Crumb (Mentioned only) (as Lady)
- Of the Day's Annoyances: Bib Fortuna's Tale (as Lady)
- Out of the Closet: The Assassin's Tale (Mentioned only) (as Lady)
- Let Us Prey: The Whiphid's Tale (as Lady)
- A Free Quarren in the Palace: Tessek's Tale (Mentioned only) (as Lady)
- Star Wars: Legacy 1: Broken, Part 1
- Star Wars: Legacy 2: Broken, Part 2
- Star Wars: Legacy 4: Noob
- Star Wars: Legacy 5: Broken, Part 4
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Assault on Hoth
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope
- Starfighter Battle Book: X-wing vs TIE Interceptor
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Wanted by Cracken
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: The Emperor Insists)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Battle Over Coruscant: Part III)
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Player's Guide to Tapani
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Anakin Skywalker)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Darth Maul)
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Dark Lord
- Dark Lord of the Sith
- Dread Lord
- High Lord
- Jedi Lord
- Sith Lord
- Supreme Overlord