One of the earliest members of the Lost Twenty was the Umbaran Jedi Master Phanius, who eventually became Darth Ruin, the first Dark Lord of the Sith in the New Sith Empire. Over time more would leave; twelve by 990 BBY, and ending with the twentieth member, Master Dooku. Leaving the Order in 32 BBY because of a growing disenchantment with the Galactic Senate, Dooku would fall under the tutelage of Darth Sidious and become the next Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Tyranus. Following the dissolution of the Order in 19 BBY, the fallen Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker considered himself to be the twenty-first member of this group.
Along with the most venerable Masters, the Lost were remembered in the form of busts in the Jedi Archives; a reminder of the Jedi's greatest failures, though the Jedi did not fault the individuals for leaving, regarding the statues as a reminder that the Jedi were not perfect and that sometimes they might fail to provide what a Jedi might seek out of life. On each bust's pedestal, the great deeds of the Master it commemorated were listed, though it gave no mention of why he or she left the Order.
Sidious later jotted down notes about the Twenty in the Book of Sith under Sorzus Syn's diary section on the First Great Schism, where he mentioned that the Lost Twenty were examples of Jedi who left the Order yet did not become combatants, while expressing his disgust at their philosophies being retained.
Behind the scenesEdit
It is unknown if the Lost comprise the entire history of the Order, or only a specific period of the Order's existence.
According to Pablo Helman on the Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones DVD Commentary, the bronzium busts that are shown in the room during the scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi speaks to Jocasta Nu include busts of himself, George Lucas, Rob Coleman, and John Knoll. It is not known if any of the four were meant to represent any of the Lost Twenty.
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 45 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) (Mentioned only) —
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 54 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) (Mentioned only) —
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only) (Deleted scene)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels (Non-canonical appearance) (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith video game
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith junior novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Purge: Seconds to Die (Busts)
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (Busts)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (Busts)
- Scourge (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones The Visual Dictionary
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Vader: The Ultimate Guide
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
- The New Essential Chronology
- "Heritage of the Sith"—Star Wars Insider 88
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 34
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Star Wars: Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Sith Wars