- "I took him, and a dozen students, and began a training temple."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Rey
A Jedi Temple was used by Luke Skywalker to train a new generation of Jedi some time after the end of the Galactic Civil War. However, one of Skywalker's students, his own nephew Ben Solo, fell to the dark side of the Force. He committed a massacre, killing many of his fellow students, and the temple was left burning. Years later, the young Force-sensitive scavenger named Rey had a vision that included glimpses of Skywalker and his astromech droid R2-D2 watching the burning temple in the background.
Behind the scenesEdit
The burning ruins of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple were briefly seen in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, during Rey's vision. Although the location was not identified in the movie itself, the official screenplay describes that building as a temple, as does the movie's novelization.
During the early development of The Force Awakens, one of the many ideas that George Lucas originally envisioned for the Star Wars sequel trilogy involved Luke training his new disciple Kira (renamed Rey in the finished version of the film) at a Jedi Temple located at the planet which ultimately became Ahch-To. In fact, Episode VII's original plot was going to involve Luke rediscovering his vitality and train his new Jedi. The idea was discarded after J.J. Abrams entered to direct the film. Skywalker's Jedi Temple and the Luke/Rey storyline ultimately make it into the flashback sequences of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance) (Vision to Rey)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (Vision to Rey)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Vision to Rey)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ As the destruction of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple takes place several years after the Galactic Civil War, the Battle of Jakku is the last known event before the fall of Luke Skywalker's Jedi.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Ending Details And More Revealed In Official Screenplay
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- ↑ Our Only Look at George Lucas' Vision for the 'Star Wars' Sequel Trilogy at /Film
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi