- "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen."
- ―Darth Vader examining Luke Skywalker's lightsaber
Luke Skywalker's green lightsaber, also known as Luke Skywalker's lightsaber or Luke Skywalker's second lightsaber was a Jedi lightsaber constructed by Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker during the Galactic Civil War. It was notably wielded during the pivotal Battle of Endor. The green-bladed weapon was powered by a kyber crystal blade stabilizing ring surrounding the blade emitter.
Built to replace his father's lightsaber, Luke Skywalker's own lightsaber contained a kyber crystal and emitted a green plasma blade. Its hilt was similar to that of Obi-Wan Kenobi's third lightsaber, as Skywalker modeled his weapon on his late Jedi Master's lightsaber, but simplified some of the design elements.
During the Galactic Civil War, Luke Skywalker sought to construct a new weapon after he lost his first lightsaber in a duel on Bespin against Darth Vader, his father. Although his mentors, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, had told him only a little of the way a Jedi had to use the Force to build a lightsaber, Skywalker reached out with his mind and found the right pieces—some easily purchased, some much harder to acquire—during the time that followed the Battle of Hoth and his duel.
Finally, during his return to his homeworld, Tatooine, to rescue his friend Han Solo from Jabba Desilijic Tiure, he was guided by the Force to Kenobi's hut. There, he found a few things Kenobi had left behind that were useful to him, including the missing parts he needed for his lightsaber's construction. After leaving Kenobi's hut, he knew he had at last collected everything he needed, and while his friends prepared for the upcoming rescue, Skywalker retreated into the solitude of a desert cave and puzzled over the pieces. He made use of the Force to put it all together and bring the crystal inside to life. When he was finished, he felt it truly was his lightsaber, almost an extension of himself.
Rescue of Han SoloEdit
Skywalker hid his lightsaber inside R2-D2's dome for the mission to rescue Captain Solo from Jabba the Hutt's palace. When he was about to be executed in the Great Pit of Carkoon, he gave the signal to R2-D2 and the astromech droid returned the lightsaber to Skywalker. He then used it to cut Boba Fett's whipcord and EE-3 carbine rifle in half. He also deflected blaster fire from Jabba's guards on the Khetanna, and killed some of them, including Klaatu.
Battle of EndorEdit
- "Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's."
- ―Darth Sidious
While on Endor, Skywalker used the weapon to protect himself from oncoming blaster fire from an Imperial scout trooper's 74-Z speeder bike. As the scout neared, Skywalker sliced the front stabilizers off, causing it and the driver to spin out of control and collide into a tree, killing the trooper and destroying the speeder bike.
That same night, he turned himself in to the Endor Imperial garrison at their base and the lightsaber was confiscated by the Imperial officer, Commander Igar. The weapon was then given to his father, Darth Vader. As he examined the ignited weapon, Vader remarked that Skywalker's skills were complete with the lightsaber's construction. The weapon remained in his possession until Vader delivered it to his master, Emperor Palpatine, in the second Death Star's Throne Room.
During the losing battle that the Alliance Fleet fought against the Imperial Navy, Palpatine tempted Skywalker to take his lightsaber and strike him down with it, so that he could give in to his anger and fall to the dark side. Eventually, in a moment of weakness, Skywalker took the weapon and attacked the Emperor, only for Vader to stop his strike and duel him. After almost killing his father, Skywalker realized what he was becoming, and he defiantly threw his lightsaber away and declared himself to be a Jedi. Following the Emperor's death at the hands of his father, Skywalker recovered his lightsaber.
Stopping a GoraxEdit
- "Even better than a spear."
- ―Leia Organa on Skywalker's lightsaber
Sometime following the Battle of Endor, Skywalker and Organa helped the Ewoks Kneesaa and Wicket W. Warrick reset their traps to stop a Gorax. Skywalker used his lightsaber to slice through a log that the Gorax had thrown at him before Skywalker threw his lightsaber to Organa to use to cut a log.
- "He's got a lightsaber!"
- ―A stormtrooper on Pillio
Skywalker used the lightsaber sometime after the Battle of Endor time when investigating the planet Pillio. Skywalker used the lightsaber to defeat many stormtroopers and then help the Inferno Squad member Del Meeko in defeating native insects as they fought their way to the Emperor's Observatory. Skywalker and Meeko parted ways after Skywalker retrieved a compass.
Three months after the Battle of Endor, Skywalker would use the lightsaber during a mission to an Imperial research base on the planet Vetine in order to retrieve the last remaining fragment of a Force-sensitive tree. Skywalker gave his lightsaber to R2-D2 for hiding as they entered the Imperial base. Once he revealed himself as a Jedi, R2-D2 released his weapon and Skywalker used it to hold off the Imperial forces while Lieutenant Shara Bey recovered the tree fragments. Skywalker also cut through a cannon with his blade and eliminated several attacking stormtroopers.
New generation of JediEdit
- "…And for that briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame…and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose master had failed him."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Rey on his contemplation to kill Ben Solo
Years later, Skywalker would begin the training of a new generation of Jedi. Fearing the growth of the dark side of the Force within his Padawan and nephew, Ben Solo, Skywalker approached him as he lay asleep in bed where, overwhelmed by the darkness he sensed from Solo, he activated his lightsaber out of pure instinct. Immediately feeling a sense of shame in considering killing his nephew even only for an instant, Skywalker hesitated long enough for Solo to wake up. Upon seeing his Master standing above him with his lightsaber raised, Solo used his own lightsaber to defend himself, providing the catalyst that would ultimately lead to the destruction of Skywalker's Jedi Temple and the induction of Solo, who would become known as Kylo Ren, as master of the Knights of Ren under Supreme Leader Snoke.
Behind the scenesEdit
During Celebration V, Mark Hamill and George Lucas debuted a deleted scene from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi in which Luke activates his lightsaber for the first time. The clip was later included in the saga Blu-ray boxset. The scene was briefly alluded to in Tom Angleberger's canon junior novel adaptation of the film, Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!.
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Crossing Paths"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Luke Skywalker's green lightsaber)
- (Set: 75093 Death Star Final Duel)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Luke Skywalker's second lightsaber)
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- (First identified as Luke Skywalker's lightsaber)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 — The kyber crystal Databank entry states that there is a kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lighstaber."
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Traps and Tribulations"
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part IV
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi