- "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen."
- ―Darth Vader examining Luke Skywalker's lightsaber
Luke Skywalker's green lightsaber, also known as Luke Skywalker's lightsaber or Luke's lightsaber was a Jedi lightsaber constructed by Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker during the Galactic Civil War. It was notably wielded during the pivotal Battle of Endor. The green-bladed weapon, powered by a kyber crystal blade stabilizing ring surrounding the blade emitter.
Built to replace his father's lightsaber, Luke Skywalker's own lightsaber contained a kyber crystal and emitted a green plasma blade. Its hilt was similar to that of Obi-Wan Kenobi's third lightsaber, as Skywalker modeled his weapon on his late Jedi Master's lightsaber, but simplified some of the design elements.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
During the Galactic Civil War, Luke Skywalker sought to construct a new weapon after he lost his first lightsaber in a duel on Bespin against Darth Vader, his father. Although his mentors, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, had told him only a little of the way a Jedi had to use the Force to build a lightsaber, Skywalker reached out with his mind and found the right pieces—some easily purchased, some much harder to acquire—during the six months that followed the Battle of Hoth and his duel.
Finally, during his return to his homeworld, Tatooine, to rescue his friend Han Solo from Jabba Desilijic Tiure, he was guided by the Force to Kenobi's hut. There, he found a few things Kenobi had left behind that were useful to him, including the missing parts he needed for his lightsaber's construction. After leaving Kenobi's hut, he knew he had at last collected everything he needed, and while his friends prepared for the upcoming rescue, Skywalker retreated into the solitude of a desert cave and puzzled over the pieces. He made use of the Force to put it all together and bring the crystal inside to life. When he was finished, he felt it truly was his lightsaber, almost an extension of himself.
- "Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's."
- ―Darth Sidious
Skywalker then hid his lightsaber inside R2-D2's dome for the mission to rescue Captain Solo from Jabba the Hutt's palace. When he was about to be executed in the Great Pit of Carkoon, he gave the signal to R2-D2 and the astromech droid returned the lightsaber to Skywalker. He then used it to cut Boba Fett's whipcord and EE-3 carbine rifle in half. He also deflected blaster fire from Jabba's guards on the Khetanna, and killed some of them, including Klaatu.
While on Endor, Skywalker used the weapon to protect himself from oncoming blaster fire from an Imperial scout trooper's 74-Z speeder bike. As the scout neared, Skywalker sliced the front stabilizers off, causing it and the driver to spin out of control and collide into a tree, killing the trooper and destroying the speeder bike.
That same night, he turned himself in to the Endor Imperial garrison at their base and the lightsaber was confiscated by the Imperial officer, Commander Igar. The weapon was then given to his father, Darth Vader. As he examined the ignited weapon; Vader merely remarked that Skywalker's skills were complete with the lightsaber's construction. The weapon remained in his possession until Vader delivered it to his master, Emperor Palpatine, in the second Death Star's Throne Room.
During the losing battle that the Alliance Fleet fought against the Imperial Navy, Palpatine tempted Skywalker to take his lightsaber and strike him down with it, so that he could give in to his anger and fall to the dark side. Eventually, in a moment of weakness, Skywalker took the weapon and attacked the Emperor, only for Vader to stop his strike and duel him. After almost killing his father, Skywalker realized what he was becoming, and he defiantly threw his lightsaber away and declared himself to be a Jedi. Following the Emperor's death at the hands of his father, Skywalker recovered his lightsaber.
Three months after the Battle of Endor, Skywalker would use the lightsaber during a mission to an Imperial research base on the planet Vetine in order to retrieve the last remaining fragment of a Force-sensitive tree. Skywalker gave his lightsaber to R2-D2 for hiding as they entered the Imperial base. Once he revealed himself as a Jedi, R2-D2 released his weapon and Skywalker used it to hold off the Imperial forces while Lieutenant Shara Bey recovered the tree fragments. Skywalker also cut through a cannon with his blade and eliminated several attacking stormtroopers.
Behind the scenesEdit
During Celebration V, Mark Hamill and George Lucas debuted a deleted scene from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi in which Luke assembles and activates his lightsaber for the first time. The clip was later included in the saga Blu-ray boxset. The scene was briefly alluded to in Tom Angleberger's Canon junior novel adaptation of the film, Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Rescue from Jabba's Palace
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Shattered Empire, Part I
- Shattered Empire, Part IV
- Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Crossing Paths"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as Luke's lightsaber)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Luke Skywalker's green lightsaber)
- (Set: 75093 Death Star Final Duel)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- (First identified as Luke Skywalker's lightsaber)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 — The kyber crystal Databank entry states that there is a kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lighstaber."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part IV