Considered one of the most powerful mid-level ships used in the war, MC30c frigates utilized proton torpedoes to bombard larger enemy starships in combat. In addition to this, it was also one of the fastest ships of its type.It featured several proton torpedo launchers as well as turbolaser batteries.
The largest weakness of the ship was that it had very light armor. The weapons it carried were strong enough to threaten most capital ships, but if heavy fire was concentrated on the frigate, it would most likely be destroyed.
It was also apparently common for these vessels to utilize cluster bombs that would damage enemy targets around the frigate. The cluster bombs were intended as a last defense against fighters and bombers. They proved very effective against tight clusters of such vessels, though once the mines were depleted the MC30c frigate would be virtually defenseless against enemy fighters and bombers until reloaded.
The shield generator of the ship, like other Mon Calamari craft, was hidden within the superstructure and therefore harder to destroy. Because of the vessel's better placement, the shields were able to regenerate at a continuous rate until the ship's destruction even if the weapons systems were suffering damage.
Ships of this kind served the Alliance through most of the Galactic Civil War, in various configurations, and continued into the early reign of the New Republic. MC30 frigates were seen in the skies of Nar Shaddaa alongside other Republic ships such as GR-75 transports and CR90 corvettes in 5 ABY, during Kyle Katarn's visit with 8t88. At some point, a MC30c frigate, an EF76 Nebulon-B escort frigate and an X-wing starfighter were involved in a space battle with several TIE/Ln starfighters, an event that was later made into a painting focusing on the X-wing.
Behind the scenesEdit
This design bore heavy resemblance to the Gallofree Yards GR-75 medium transports seen in The Empire Strikes Back and the Recusant-class light destroyer seen in Revenge of the Sith. It might have been intended to share designers with them before the concept artists went in a different direction.
The MC30 or a related design had a short cameo in Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II in the introduction to the Nar Shaddaa level.
- Star Wars: Rebellion 15: Vector, Part 7
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game: Galactic Hunters
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (First appearance)
- Forum on Lucasforums.com (First identified as MC30c frigate)
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 159
- Star Wars: Armada – MC30c Frigate Expansion Pack
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Strongholds of Resistance
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- ↑ Star Wars: Rebellion 15: Vector, Part 7
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies