The MC80B had a roughly similar look to earlier models, but optimized the amount of guns available for a frontal assault by positioning them in forward-facing clusters around the ship. The class had its main reactor located on the ventral side of the vessel, while its bridge was located on the dorsal side, amidship. Hangar bays were located on the flanks of the ship.
Offensive and defensive systems
An interim design, the MC80B was an improvement over the original MC80. The MC80B had a much more heavily reinforced hull, and featured multiple backup deflector shield generators. Spread across the hull were turbolaser and shield projector blisters. A sensor cluster was located at the tip of the bow. Built for durability, these ships were able to withstand heavy damage while blasting through the more limited shielding of Imperial ships.
The MC80B was armed with forty-eight turbolasers and twenty ion cannons. These weapons were linked in banks of twelve and four respectively, allowing the MC80B to easily concentrate its fire upon a single target.
The MC80B cruiser carried four starfighter squadrons. Later ships in this line were refitted to hold up to eight squadrons. The standard fighter complement included one A-wing, two X-wings and one B-wing squadron.
Like the MC80, and unlike the later MC90 Star Cruiser, the MC80B was not designed to accommodate different species. Holographic displays and monitors were optimized for Mon Calamari vision, and some controls required movements that were nearly impossible for Humans to perform.
The first ship of this line was Mon Remonda, which entered service approximately a year and a half after the Battle of Endor. These capable ships led the forces of the New Republic during its formative years, and were supplanted by the MC90 Star Cruiser four years later.
The MC80B would continue to serve in the New Republic Navy throughout the Yuuzhan Vong War. When the government transitioned into the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, the vessel continued to see frontline use.
- X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
- X-Wing: Iron Fist
- X-Wing: Solo Command
- The Courtship of Princess Leia (First appearance)
- Tatooine Ghost (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 12 (HOM1, Home One (MC80 Mon Calamar Star Cruiser))
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 96 (MON1-2, Mon Remonda)
- Cracken's Threat Dossier
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 The Official Star Wars Fact File 96 (MON1-2, Mon Remonda)
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 Cracken's Threat Dossier
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force