- "I live to serve."
"You're dead and still serving. The Emdee-fours should have let you die."
- ―Colonel "Antar Roat" and a customs official on Coruscant
This droid model had specialized appendages for performing microsurgical procedures and could even perform these on its own without assistance.
Industrial Automaton's MD-4 first-degree droid was part of the MD-series of medical droids. Related to the 2-1B surgical droid—another of Industrial Automaton's products—in terms of aesthetic design, the 1.5 Imperial standard meter tall, was comprised of a torso unit with two arms topped by a cranial unit. The lower legs were shrouded in a surgical gown to protect delicate internal mechanisms. MD-4 droids were ambidextrous.
MD-series droids were generally colored with gray plating and green highlights. The photoreceptors were yellow. Costing 2,000 credits, MD-4s were available for purchase throughout the galaxy. The torso was the location of a connection socket to allow the droid to directly connect to a computer. The MD-4 employed reduction servomotors and actuators to give their arms slow, precise movements to perform complex surgical procedures.
Constructed on the droid factory world of Telti, they were employed by the Empire during the Galactic Civil War. Aboard the Imperial EF76 Nebulon-B escort frigate Far Orbit, an MD-4 droid oversaw the surgical unit. Three MD-4 droids served under Doctor Momaw Mowadan aboard the luxury liner Kuari Princess. As part of Wedge Antilles' cover identity to infiltrate Coruscant in 6 ABY, his cover identity of "Antar Roat" was said to have been treated for battle injuries by MD-4s.
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (As "Emdee-four (MD-4)")
- Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (As "MD-4")
- Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition (As "MD-4")
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (As "Emdee-four (MD-4)")
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The Essential Guide to Droids
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 9 (MAN2, Droid Manufacturers)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 96 (MED6, MD Medical Specialist)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II ("MD (Emdee) droids")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 The Star Wars Sourcebook
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 The Essential Guide to Droids
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Arms & Equipment Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 The Official Star Wars Fact File 96 (MED6, MD Medical Specialist)
- ↑ The Far Orbit Project
- ↑ Riders of the Maelstrom
- ↑ X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble