|MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle|
MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle
The MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle was a single-track, double-wheeled groundcar used by the Imperial Army to scout planetary terrain during the height of the Galactic Civil War. The MTV-7, adaptable in multiple mobile configurations, was operated by a single pilot and armed with a single laser cannon. The Galactic Empire utilized MTV-7s among its ground forces as part of the Imperial invasion of Echo Base, the Rebel Alliance headquarters, during the Battle of Hoth in 3 ABY.
The MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle was a wheeled scouting car utilized by the Imperial Army during the prime years of the Galactic Civil War. In addition to the vehicle's basic upright position, the MTV-7's large double wheels, each featuring grooved surface treading, extended outward from the main body to adopt a low, ground-hugging configuration. Such versatility made the MTV-7 adaptable to many environments, and the vehicle was easier to deploy than the Empire's All Terrain Scout Transport walker. Armed with a single rotating laser cannon, the MTV-7 held room for a single pilot in an open-air cockpit—unlike speeder bikes, the MTV-7 did not require a pilot possessed of suicidal tendencies. A forward-facing, grilled headlight was positioned at the front of the vehicle.
During the Battle of Hoth, the massive Imperial campaign in 3 ABY to crush the Rebel Alliance High Command headquarters of Echo Base on the Outer Rim ice planet Hoth, the Empire utilized at least three MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicles as part of its ground invasion forces. Both snowtroopers and Imperial Army pilots operated the MTV-7s to scout Hoth's hostile terrain.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "They crawl, they fly, they climb, they go just about anywhere! MTV-7 is a MULTI-TERRAIN VEHICLE used by the Empire to scout the hostile ice planet, HOTH. It carries one Action Figure. It has spring-loaded legs and a movable laser cannon."
- ―1981 Kenner Toy Fair Catalog
The MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle was an original creation of the Kenner toy company as part of its 1981 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Mini-Rig vehicle series. The vehicles of the series, which did not appear in any of the three films of the Star Wars original trilogy, were fairly inexpensive models designed to carry one character and thereby increase play value at a lower cost than Kenner's larger toy vehicles. Kenner reissued the MTV-7 in both 1982 and again as part of its Return of the Jedi series in 1983 before being discontinued.
The MTV-7 was reintroduced to Star Wars lore with the May 24, 2013 release of A Dark Time, the third card set of The Hoth Cycle in Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars: The Card Game. A Dark Time features a vehicle card for the MTV-7 that provides its first canonical illustration and first depiction since the subject's original Kenner toy packaging.
- (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- Star Wars: The Card Game – A Dark Time (Card: MTV-7)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Salvatore, Ron (2011). MTV-7 (Multi-Terrain Vehicle) - Star Wars Collectors Archive. Star Wars Collectors Archve. theswca.com. Archived from the original on May 27, 2008. Retrieved on January 2, 2013. — Based on Kenner MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle toy package illustrations
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Salvatore, Ron (2011). MTV-7 (Multi-Terrain Vehicle) - Star Wars Collectors Archive. Star Wars Collectors Archive. theswca.com. Archived from the original on May 27, 2008. Retrieved on January 2, 2013. — Based on 1981 Kenner Toy Fair Catalog description
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: The Card Game – A Dark Time (Card: MTV-7)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 62 ("Hoth, Battle of")
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Salvatore, Ron (2011). MTV-7 (Multi-Terrain Vehicle) - Star Wars Collectors Archive. Star Wars Collectors Archive. theswca.com. Archived from the original on May 27, 2008. Retrieved on January 2, 2013.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive