- "Nik, none of you should be living here. We can't guarantee your safety, you know that."
- ―Officer Mal, to Nik Deleru, about refugees in the Old Galactic Market
Mal was a Human male police officer with the Coruscant Security Force during the time of the Cold War between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic. Officer Mal was assigned to the Old Galactic Market district of the planet Coruscant. There, Mal tried to fulfill his duty of keeping the peace; however, he was hampered by a lack of resources and the fighting between CSF police forces and Migrant Merchants' Guild thugs. On one occasion, Mal was approached by a refugee Nautolan named Nik Deleru whose mate, Ria Deleru, had been taken by the Guild. Though Mal was unable to assist, an individual offered to help retrieve Ria.
- "I failed to pay my protection payments and as you can see, Coruscant Security could care less."
"Oh, for goodness sake Nik give it a rest!"
- ―Nik Deleru and Officer Mal
Officer Mal was a Human male who served as a police officer with the Coruscant Security Force during the Cold War between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic on the planet Coruscant. Mal was assigned to the Old Galactic Market commercial district of Galactic City. In the aftermath of some riots, the Old Galactic Market had been overrun by refugees and a criminal organization known as the Migrant Merchants' Guild. The Guild claimed to protect the interests of the refugees, but in reality, it demanded protection money and was involved in illegal actives such as money laundering and smuggling. Though the CSF had been able to retake a portion of the Galactic Market, most of it remained under the Guild's control. a Nautolan named Nik Deleru reported to Mal that his mate, Ria Deleru, had been taken by the Guild. Nik requested Mal's help in retrieving her; however, Mal did not have enough men to enter the Guild control area and retrieve Ria.
While arguing over the CSF's ability to retrieve Ria from the Migrant Merchants' Guild headquarters, a Republic individual offered to retrieve Ria for Nik. The individual was able to locate Ria, who informed them that she had actually intentionally left Nik and wanted to make a better life for herself. She asked that the individual tell Nik that she had left the planet. The individual returned to Nik and Officer Mal and reported what Ria had requested.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "I wish I could help Nik, I really do. But I can't spare the manpower."
- ―Officer Mal, about retrieving Ria Deleru from the Migrant Merchants' Guild
Officer Mal was dark-skinned, with blue eyes and black hair. He was dedicated to his job and felt it was his duty to protect. Faced with the struggles of the refugees, Mal believed that since they had no business living in the Old Galactic Market, any situation in which they became involved was partially of their own doing. The refugees in turn blamed the CSF for not stopping the Guild. Tired of being blamed for their problems by the refugees, Mal nevertheless cared for their plight. Yet with the CSF's lack of manpower and resources, he was unable to get involved and help the refugees with problems involving the Guild. This led Mal to become frustrated with the Guild, the refugees, and his inability to act.
Behind the scenesEdit
Mal appears in the "For Better or Worse" Republic-sided mission in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game by BioWare released on December 20, 2011. The player can choose to accept the light side mission from Nik Deleru to rescue Ria. During the conversation, Mal's frustrations and opinions are revealed. For light side points, the player can choose to tell Nik that Ria was gone or can force Ria to return to Nik for dark side points. This article assumes that the character chooses the light side option.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Mission: "For Better or Worse" on Coruscant
- ↑ Using comments and information from Star Wars: The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.