- "Hey, you're the married one. Find me a human girl with Malla's brains and silky hair and maybe I'll consider it."
- ―Han Solo, to Chewbacca
Malla was the wife of Chewbacca, the Wookiee co-pilot of the Corellian smuggler Han Solo. According to Solo, she was intelligent and had hair resembling silk. During the Galactic Civil War that pitted the Galactic Empire against the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Chewbacca was traveling with Solo, away from Malla and the rest of his family on the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk. However, following the liberation of the planet from the Galactic Empire's grasp, Chewbacca reestablished connections with them all.
Behind the scenesEdit
Malla was created for The Star Wars Holiday Special a 1978 TV movie set in the Star Wars universe. However, that story is part of the Star Wars Legends continuity, formerly known as the "Expanded Universe," and is therefore not official canon. The 2015 young readers novel A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy, a retelling of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope written by Alexandra Bracken, recanonized the existence of Chewbacca's wife Malla.
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (First mentioned)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Indirect mention only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded