|Chronological and political information|
- "I know we'll be together again. It's just a matter of time."
Mallatobuck (meaning "beautiful singer" in Shyriiwook), also known as Malla, was a female Wookiee from Kashyyyk. She was the wife of Chewbacca, and mother of their son Lumpawaroo. Malla had a brother named Vargi.
Malla first met Chewbacca on Kashyyyk when they were adolescents. She saw him for the first time as he made what she referred to as "…a reckless, show-off jump from a Wroshyr tree, made over a needlessly long distance, flirting with death, and an utterly childish thing to do". Chewbacca's jump was quite impressive, and right then at that moment she knew Chewbacca had to be hers. However, she was too nervous to admit her feelings for him. To get Chewbacca to notice her, Malla turned to Chewbacca's cousin for help. Their first acquaintance was followed by a traditional courtship, though some of their flirtations did not go so well. Later on, they were caught by Trandoshan slavers, but Chewbacca confronted these slavers, pulling a few arms off along the way. However, after these events they maintained only a close friendship.
Chewbacca was later enslaved by the Galactic Empire and only after his rescue by Han Solo and his return, his relationship with Malla became more romantically involved. When Chewbacca finally decided he wanted to marry Malla, an albino Wookiee named Tojjevvuk also wanted her for himself. Chewbacca killed Tojjevvuk, and his clan placed a death mark on Chewbacca. Mallatobuck and Chewbacca did not finally marry until Tojjevvuk's father called off the death mark.
Wife and mother
Eventually Malla and Chewbacca had a son named Lumpawarrump. However, Malla did not see much of her husband, due to the life debt he had to Han Solo. Despite this, Chewbacca returned once per year (with Han's blessing) to celebrate Life Day with Malla and their son.
In 4 ABY, Malla, as well as her village, was held hostage by Nagai commander Knife, who sought to set up a slave trade on Kashyyyk. Unbeknownst to Malla, her brother Vargi and several defected Wookiees were a part of the operation. Once Chewbacca, Han, and Lando Calrissian were able to break free, the three proceeded to end the operation. With the help of the Alliance, the battle ended and all of those who were involved were apprehended. Upset at his involvement and betrayal, Malla disowned Vargi as her brother.
She constantly worried about her son's growing desire to be like his father during the New Republic's early years. Because of this Malla considered letting Lumpy stay with the Solos on Coruscant. During a trip to Coruscant with his father, Lumpawarrump was captured while trying to capture thieves that broke into the Solos' apartment. Lumpawarrump became captured and in the process of saving him, Malla was also captured. Shortly afterwards, Chewbacca and Lumpawarrump discovered that the burglars were planning to assassinate the New Republic's leaders. Determined to stop them, Chewbacca and his son infiltrated the enemies' base to find an advanced IT-3 interrogation droid attempting to brainwash Malla into believing that the Solos were a danger to her child. Enraged, Chewbacca attacked the burglars and freed Mallatobuck. After the incident, Malla decided that Lumpy would be safer on Kashyyyk. While in mourning after Chewbacca's death, Malla agreed to allow Lumpawaroo to assume his father's life debt to Han Solo.
Behind the scenes
One of Malla's notable appearances is in the comic series Star Wars: Chewbacca, where she is the narrator for the first episode. She tells the story of how she and Chewbacca met and functions as a means to portray the grief over Chewbacca's death.
- The Hutt Gambit (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Games (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Dawn
- Death Troopers (Mentioned only)
- The Wookiee Storybook
- The Star Wars Holiday Special (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Depicted in painting only)
- Star Wars 91: Wookiee World
- Star Wars 104: Nagais and Dolls (Indirect mention only)
- A Forest Apart
- Tyrant's Test
- Star Wars: Chewbacca 1
- Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The Unifying Force
- Inferno (Mentioned only)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars Galaxy Series 1 (Card: Typical Wookiee Family)
- "The Star Wars Holiday Special"—Star Wars Insider 23
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- Star Wars: Chronicles
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Scouting the Galaxy"—Star Wars Insider 39
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 16 (BOW2, Chewbacca's Bowcaster)
- "Wasaka Berries and Monster Ships"—Star Wars Insider 74
- "20 Most Memorable Moments of the Expanded Universe"—Star Wars Insider 83
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- "The Toys That Never Were"—Star Wars Insider 92
- "Jawa's Corner"—Star Wars Insider 94 (Picture only)
- "A Long Time Ago...."—Star Wars Insider 104 (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II ("Mallatobuck")
- "Han Solo: The Early Years"—Star Wars Insider 106
- "I Have a Bad Feeling About This!"—Star Wars Insider 106
- Star Wars: Visions
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.19
- Millennium Falcon Owners' Workshop Manual
- (Picture only)