Mand'alor was the title assumed by the sole leader of the Mandalorian people. Their Protectors established a balance of control in the Mandalorians' warrior clan society. Pre Vizsla, leader of the Mandalorian splinter group Death Watch, took the title of Mand'alor during his takeover of Mandalore, the Mandalorian homeworld, but the title became vacant when Vizsla was killed in a duel with Darth Maul.
During the reign of the Galactic Empire, the former Mandalorian super commando Gar Saxon, had wished to be Mand'alor and rule over the Mandalorians. The leader of the Protectors, Fenn Rau, claimed Saxon had no honor, thus Saxon was unable to claim the title. However, he was installed as Viceroy of Mandalore by Emperor Palpatine. After Gar Saxon's death, his brother, Governor Tiber Saxon succeeded him, and wished to gain control of all of Mandalore, but was killed before he could achieve his goal after Sabine Wren returned to Mandalore with her clan and the Darksaber to free her father.
After Saxon's death, Sabine passed down the Darksaber to Lady Bo-Katan Kryze, who accepted the Darksaber from Wren and with the support of clans Wren, Vizsla, Rook, Eldar, her own Clan Kryze, and the Protectors, represented by Rau, and stepped into the role of Mand'alor to unite the Mandalorian people against the Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Pre Vizsla—played by Jon Favreau—he is the person who's trying to maintain historic Mandalore. He is the one that's maintaining their history, the concept of the Mand'alor, the one leader, and he wants to usurp Satine. [...] He is the lineage of the Mandalorians—at least, he's convinced himself that he is."
- ―Dave Filoni
The title of Mand'alor first appeared in Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind, the first issue in the Star Wars Legends Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Sith War series of comics, which was published by Dark Horse Comics in 1995. The title became canon when it was mentioned in a featurette that was included in Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Complete Season Two, a box set available on Blu-ray or DVD that included the entirety of the second season of The Clone Wars that was released on October 26, 2010.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Rebels – "Imperial Super Commandos" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Rebels – "Legacy of Mandalore" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Imperial Super Commandos"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Two
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind