Mandaba was the native language of the Selonian species from Selonia. Selonians had dedicated specialists who were accustomed to dealing with offworlders. A select few were fluent in both Selonian and Basic, and many were passably familiar with Basic, enough to communicate, although they were only literate in their own language. Male Selonians rarely learned a second language. Selonians used the name Home Talk to refer to their own language.
The Selonian word "kurso" meant "good", and "kurso-kurso" translated roughly as "so-so". When asked if he spoke Selonian ("Bellorna-cra ecto mandaba-sa?"), Han Solo replied, "Bellorna-sa mandaba-fa kurso-kurso", or roughly, "Speak me it well enough".
The word "despecto" translated to "honorable", and was used before a proper name to indicate respect.
Notable non-native speakers of SelonianEdit
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Assault at Selonia (First appearance)
- Showdown at Centerpoint
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons (as Selonian)
- Alien Anthology (as Selonian)
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds (as Selonian)
- Ultimate Alien Anthology (as Selonian)
- Suns of Fortune