- "A civil war killed most of Satine's people, hence her aversion to violence."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, to Anakin Skywalker on Duchess Satine's pacifism
The Mandalorian Civil War occurred on Mandalore many years prior to the Clone Wars. Ultimately, the New Mandalorians brought about an end to the civil war, with Duchess Satine Kryze acting as ruler of Mandalore.
- "Master Qui-Gon and I spent a year on Mandalore, protecting the duchess from insurgents who had threatened her world. They sent bounty hunters after us. We were always on the run, living hand to mouth, never sure what the next day would bring."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
During the war, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, spent a year on Mandalore to protect Duchess Satine Kryze, the leader of the pacifistic regime known as the New Mandalorians. The insurgents attempted to kill the trio via bounty hunters, forcing the duchess and the Jedi to live on the run. Their time together led Kryze and Kenobi to fall in love.
- "When she returned, she took on the difficult task of rebuilding her world alone."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, on Satine Kryze
The death toll during the war became a primary reason for why Kryze was averse to violence, a pacifist belief she held for the rest of her life. At the end of the war, Kenobi chose to return to the Jedi Order, though he would have left had Kryze asked him to. The duchess returned, came out of hiding and set about rebuilding Mandalore herself. She ruled over Mandalore for many years, including during the Clone Wars. Violence ultimately gripped Mandalore once again, after the warrior group known as Death Watch made itself known by allying itself with Sith Lord, Count Dooku and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. After a falling out with Dooku, Death Watch then teamed with Darth Maul and the Shadow Collective to take control of Mandalore from the pacifist New Mandalorian government. Kryze was then killed by Darth Maul during the ensuing conflict, bringing an end to her pacifist rule. Seventeen years later, a second civil war began between the Imperial-backed Clan Saxon and Clan Wren.
Behind the scenesEdit
The civil war on Mandalore was first referenced in "Voyage of Temptation," a second season episode of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. The 2015 reference guide Ultimate Star Wars identified the conflict as the Mandalorian Civil War. In doing so, the authors utilized an event that, in the Star Wars Legends continuity, served as a separate conflict from the Great Clan Wars, the event during which Obi-Wan Kenobi and Satine Kryze first met and fell in love.
- (First identified as Mandalorian Civil War)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"