|Mandator I-class Star Dreadnaught|
Mandator I-class Star Dreadnaught
Equipped with limited-range hyperdrive.
The massive Mandator I-class Star Dreadnaught was a KDY warship.
The Mandator I-class was an 8 kilometer long warship in the Star Destroyer design family. It had a main reactor large enough to protrude from the "belly" of the ship, similar to the ventral bulb of the later Imperial-class Star Destroyer. The original Mandator model was equipped with a limited-range hyperdrive that restricted it from transgalactic travel.
In the last decades of the Galactic Republic, the Mandator-class was developed and produced by KDY. Star Dreadnaughts of this class helped form the Kuat sector's defense fleet, working alongside Procurator-class Star Battlecruisers, to protect against invasion.
Kuat later made the Mandator II-class Star Dreadnaught, which was an improvement upon the Mandator's design. During the Clone Wars, several Mandators were even upgraded to Mandator II specs to aid the war effort.
The ships continued service in the Galactic Empire, as Kuat's security forces were Imperialized and augmented at the Empire's founding to ensure continued military ship-production. Unlike their starfighter lines, the Mandator design was still part of Kuat's bountiful ship catalogue decades later.
The Empire produced several other derived designs, including the Bellator-class dreadnought and the Mandator III-class dreadnought which emphasized different aspects of both the Mandator and Mandator II classes.
Behind the scenesEdit
In an official interview with TheForce.Net, author Curtis Saxton described the ships in Kuat's sector fleets as comparable to the later vessels of the Galactic Empire, but limited to local hyperdrive-ranges. The word "Mandator" has a Latin origin, where its stem originated from words related to "commission", "command", "order".
According to Ansel Hsiao on Stardestroyer.net forums around the time The Essential Guide to Warfare was released, both he and Jason Fry planned to make all the Mandator-series, in addition to the Bellator-class, humpbacked vessels similar to the one that appeared in Dark Empire, although nothing of the sort made it into the final cut by the time of its release. However, the intended humpbacked hulls of the Mandator-series was nonetheless implied in Jason Fry's endnotes for the book.
- Attack of the Clones: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Jason Fry's tumblr account - EG to Warfare Endnotes Pt. 7.
- Jason Fry's tumblr account - EG to Warfare Endnotes Pt. 11.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Attack of the Clones: Incredible Cross-Sections p. 23
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Jason Fry's tumblr account - EG to Warfare Endnotes Pt. 7.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia vol. II p. 285
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Attack of the Clones: Incredible Cross-Sections p. 11
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Curtis Saxton interview on TheForce.net
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ The Essential Atlas p. 13
- ↑ The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide p. 157
- ↑ University of Notre Dame Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid
- ↑ University of Notre Dame Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid, origins of the word-stem.
- ↑ http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=124353&start=1600