Mantigrues were flying, carnivorous reptavians native to the craggy cliffs and deep woods of the forest moon of Endor. They walked on two legs and had three digits on each leathery wing, which were used for grasping prey.
Ewok lore held that mantigrues served the Night Spirit, an invisible, evil deity who controlled the night's darkness.
Behind the scenesEdit
Other dragon-like species native to Endor's moon are the Condor dragon and the devil beast. It is unknown if any of the three share genetic ancestry. It is perhaps more likely to be related to the latter since the condor dragon has a set of arms separate from its wings, and the comic's coloration of the devil beast more closely matches the mantigrue as seen in the Ewoks animated series.
Mantigrues first appeared in The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense, a children's book written by Joe Johnston. Johnston was also the production designer for the movie Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, which was published a year later and featured the Condor dragon. Concept artworks and game files of Star Wars Galaxies refer to the mantigrue as "Condor dragon."
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Ewoks—"The Haunted Village"
- Perfect Antidote
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Gamer 9
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (WIC2, Wicket W. Warrick)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia