- "Many Bothans died to bring us this information."
- ―Mon Mothma
The Martyrs referred to the Bothans who gave their lives in order to acquire and forward the plans for the second Death Star to the Rebel Alliance. Because of their sacrifice, the Alliance ultimately defeated the Galactic Empire at the Battle of Endor, thus shifting the momentum of the entire Galactic Civil War. The Martyrs themselves were greatly revered within Bothan society, and to marry into a family of one of them was a great honor.
Unfortunately, the cause of the Martyrs and their sacrifice were also used for political motives. Borsk Fey'lya, the Bothan representative to the New Republic Senate, brought forth their memory on many occasions when he felt that the Bothans were being discriminated against. Many other Bothans also saw them as a tool to gain power. When Rogue Squadron pilot Asyr Sei'lar was presumed killed in the Battle of Distna, Fey'lya attempted to have the remains of another Bothan take her place at a planned state funeral, as the bodies of the Martyrs had been destroyed by the Empire. This did not sit well with Booster Terrik who, after drubbing the Senator, unceremoniously dismissed him from his office aboard the Errant Venture.
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi novel (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi junior novel (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: The Krytos Trap
- X-Wing: Isard's Revenge (Mentioned only)