- "Ancient warriors built the Great Temple more than 5,000 years ago."
- ―Tour the Great Temple on Yavin 4
The Massassi, who were once enslaved by the Sith, built the Great Temple of Massassi in the jungles of Yavin 4 five thousand years before the Battle of Yavin. By the time of the Galactic Civil War, the Massassi race was extinct. The Massassi had a connection with the Ordu Aspectu, an ancient Jedi heresy.
After their extinction, the Massassi were mentioned in a travel advertisement written by a Special Galaxy Reporter who had investigated the Great Temple ruins after the Alliance to Restore the Republic abandoned the jungle moon.
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Mentioned only)
- Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- Doctor Aphra 2: Book I, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 3: Book I, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Journey Through Space (First mentioned)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Massassi)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (Mentioned only)