- "But I am Mat Rags, the greatest hunter the galaxy has ever known!"
- ―Mat Rags to Qui-Gon Jinn
During his time in Mos Espa, Rags ran into Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who was trying to purchase a hyperdrive generator. Such was Qui-Gon's kindness towards the rugged Mat Rags, the hunter gave the Jedi a rare krayt dragon tooth as a souvenir.
During the rule of the Galactic Empire, Mat Rags still lived in Mos Espa, helping locals train to become worthy hunters. He wore a krayt dragon's claw around his neck, as a show of his status as a hunter. He continued to boast about his greatest kills, a wild rancor on Dathomir being one of them. His bragging was very annoying to those who knew him.
During 1 ABY, Jawas asked him for a squill carcass so that they could harvest its meat. Mat Rags, seeing this as an excellent training opportunity, tasked an aspiring hunter with finding and killing a squill. The spacer succeeded, and Mat Rags saw to it that the carcass was given to the Jawas. Mat Rags was happy with the spacer, but the work was not over. Mat Rags soon learned that an offworlder desired the hide of a variegated womp rat, so that he could take it back home as a trophy. Though Mat could not fathom why someone would want such a hide, he tasked the aspiring hunter with killing the beast.
Mat Rags was offered yet another commission for a matriarch bantha trophy. Mat Rags, feeling as though such a task was beneath his skills as a hunter, once again tasked the novice hunter with finding and killing the creature. The spacer boasted that the bantha could be hunted blindfolded, and with both hands tied behind the back. Though the spacer did no such thing, the bantha was nonetheless killed. Mat Rags was impressed, but he had one final, more challenging task for the spacer. A museum desired a stuffed dewback to display in a dangerous wildlife exhibit. The spacer agreed, and successfully hunted down a grizzled dewback. The hide was brought back in a good condition, as requested, so that it could be properly displayed. Mat Rags was quite impressed with the spacer, but lamented the fact that the League was not accepting new applicants. Nonetheless, Mat Rags awarded the spacer with credits, and a master hunter trophy. The trophy was a Bol skull from the planet Dantooine, given to members of the Hunters guild that proved themselves as skilled hunters.
Behind the scenesEdit
Mat Rags was voiced by Gregg Berger in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game. The player, in the guise of Jinn, has the option of talking to Rags and may acquire a dragon tooth. This article assumes the player does so. The tooth may then be traded in Mos Espa for a blaster.
Mat Rags appeared as a Non-Player Character in the MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies. In the game, players may perform a series of quests for him which involve hunting various creatures. The game depicts Mat Rags to be bald, but with brown eyes, which is contrary to other sources which show him to have blue eyes.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game (First identified as Mat Rags)
- Star Wars 20: Twilight, Part 2 (Vision to Quinlan Vos)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 8 (TAT6, Mos Espa) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- Mos Espa, Home Of The Greatest Hunter The Galaxy Has Ever Known on the Jedi Council Forums (Games board; accessed February 27, 2013)