|Chronological and political information|
- "There is darkness everywhere on Tython. But the dangers of the Gnarls…"
- ―Matare, speaking of the planet Tython
Matare was a Zabrak male Jedi who served the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic during the Cold War between the Sith Empire and the Republic. He was one of many Jedi who relocated to the Jedi homeworld of Tython after the Order relocated there to rebuild at the conclusion of the Great Galactic War with the Sith. While on the planet, Matare frequented the Masters' Retreat, an enclave near the Jedi Temple on Tython. Around the year 3643 BBY, the Flesh Raiders, a savage species native to Tython, began to attack Jedi and others in the Gnarls and other regions around the Jedi Temple, which led Matare to believe that the Jedi should no longer send their Padawans to the Gnarls for training.
- "I am afraid the Gnarls are not longer an ideal place for Padawans."
- ―Matare, speaking of the Gnarls
A Force-sensitive male Zabrak, Matare was a Jedi trained in the ways of the Force by the Jedi Order, a group of Force-using individuals who acted as peacekeepers for the Galactic Republic. Following the Great Galactic War between the Republic and the Sith Empire, the Jedi returned to their ancestral homeworld Tython and worked to rebuild their Order after their losses during the war. During this time of rebuilding, which occurred during the Cold War between the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic, Matare was on the planet and stayed at the Masters' Retreat, a Jedi Enclave located near the world's Jedi Temple. Around the year 3643 BBY, a native species of violent savages known as the Flesh Raiders began to attack Jedi and other individuals in the regions around the Jedi Temple. Matare believed that the region of Tython known as the Gnarls had become too dangerous for Jedi Padawans to train in. During the Flesh Raider attacks, Matare discussed the situation in the Gnarls with Jedi Master Benn, who believed that it was important for the Padawans to learn to identify darkness and dangerous situations during the dark times in which the Order was locked. While Matare agreed with Benn to some extent, he still believed that the Order could only survive so many losses.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "As you say, Master. But we can only afford to lose so many."
- ―Matare, speaking to Master Benn in the Masters' Retreat
During the time of the Flesh Raider attacks on Tython, Matare feared for the safety of the Jedi Padawans in the Gnarls. He viewed all of Tython as dangerous, but viewed the region of the Gnarls as particularly so. While speaking with Master Benn on the subject, he agreed that the Padawans needed to be taught to identify darkness and dangerous situations, but he also believed that the Jedi Order could only deal with a certain amount of losses. Like all Jedi, Matare was sensitive to the Force. Matare had black hair, yellow eyes, and fair skin. He also had facial tattooes that were slightly darker in color than his skin on his forehead, cheeks, chin, and neck. During his time on the planet Tython, Matare wore brown and tan robes with brown gloves and carried a lightsaber, the traditional weapon of the Jedi Order.
Behind the scenesEdit
Matare first appears in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a 2011 MMORPG produced by BioWare. In the game, Matare appears as a character on the planet Tython in the Masters' Retreat, the starting area for players starting the Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular classes. In the game, Matare has a conversation with Master Benn, which the player can observe and hear, but not be a part of. Although Matare wears the same type of Jedi robe and is the same level in the game as Master Benn, the game does not identify Matare as a Jedi Master. In the dialogue, Matare refers to Benn as "Master," but it is not specified whether or not Benn was Matare's Master. The game includs another Jedi named Matare on the planet Tython, a Human Padawan who is located near the ruins of the Temple of Kaleth.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Tython (Republic)
- ↑ Using comments and information from Star Wars: The Old Republic 2: The Lost Suns, Part 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.