|Chronological and political information|
- «You're just a little gravel maggot!»
- ―Mawhonic taunts a rival[src]
Mawhonic (pronounced /mɑ'hɑnɪk/) was a male Gran who hailed from the planet of Hok. By the year 32 BBY,the Gran became an accomplished Podracer pilot, gaining fame and fortune on worlds such as Ando Prime, Malastare, and Ryloth. Using a green Galactic Power Engineering GPE-3130 Podracer, Mawhonic soared through the sport with record times across the board. In addition to racing, Mawhonic also struck out a living selling Podracer parts. Mawhonic participated in the Boonta Eve Classic of 32 BBY, which was based out of the desert planet of Tatooine. The Gran started on the front row, and during the first lap Mawhonic's 3130 was destroyed by his rival, the Dug Sebulba.
Despite the severity of the crash, Mawhonic survived and later took part in the Vinta Harvest Classic race on Malastare. Although he was the local crowd favorite, Mawhonic lost another race to Sebulba. Furious about Sebulba's attempt to kill him in the Boonta, Mawhonic posted bounties on several of Sebulba's relatives, accepting them either dead or alive. Several years later, Mawhonic, still piloting a GPE Podracer, joined the 24 BBY racing season. Mawhonic held two speed records, and also displayed his aggressive side when he made it onto competitor knockout charts. Mawhonic's career extended into the year 22 BBY, where the Podracing courses extended into worlds such as Felucia and Coruscant.
In addition to being a pilot, Mawhonic was a podracer parts dealer. He could often be found in his shop where his R2-series astromech droid frequently worked on his podracer. The Gran was willing to sell parts for Huttese currency or to trade parts, but he refused to accept Republic credit.
He was one of only a handful of racers, including Gasgano, that Sebulba ever counted as a real threat to his career. Sebulba's loathing of Mawhonic was likely supplemented by the fact that the three-eyed alien was of the Gran race, the very same species that had enslaved Sebulba's people, the Dugs, on their home planet of Malastare. Mawhonic would become vicious whenever Sebulba was around, whereas otherwise he was quite good-natured.
An unspoken alliance between Mawhonic and Gasgano revealed itself whenever they were racing against Sebulba: if an opportunity to work together to bring the Dug down presented itself, they would do so. However, they rarely had anything to do with each other in their off hours, as each found the other's personality detestable. In the Boonta Eve Classic of 32 BBY, Mawhonic's Podracer was destroyed in the first lap by Sebulba as they were passing through the Mushroom Mesa.
Soon after the race, a maddened Mawhonic pronounced his hatred for Sebulba and his family. He put a bounty on at least two of the cheating Dug's relatives, Nebulba and Xijulba of Malastare's Sebolto Clan. The bounty hunter, Jango Fett, would eventually snag the bounties while on the planet, although it is still unclear whether they were taken alive or dead.
Mawhonic returned later on to compete in Malastare's Vinta Harvest Classic, apparently no worse for wear. During this race, he was introduced by Fode and Beed as the local Gran favourite. Astonished, Sebulba accused him of being an impostor, but all evidence pointed to the fact that he was genuine. Rumors began to fly around that there had been an impostor Mawhonic, but this had been the one who perished in the Boonta Eve Classic—that Mawhonic himself had not raced in the Boonta to begin with. These rumors remain unconfirmed. Later Sebulba destroyed his podracer, after the race Mawhonic disappeared.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Episode I Racer
- Podracing Tales
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace ½
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Anakin Skywalker
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic 15: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 3
- Star Wars: Racer Revenge
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 26 (POD2, Podracer Pilots)
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Mawhonic)