- "She's run this watering hole for a thousand years. Maz is a bit of an acquired taste, so let me do the talking. And whatever you do, don't stare..."
- ―Han Solo
Maz Kanata's castle was located on the planet of Takodana on the shore of Nymeve Lake and was owned by the pirate Maz Kanata up until around thirty years after the Battle of Endor. It had a main hall and hosted travelers and smugglers, among others. It had sensor grids and advanced communications gear and was rumored to have been a battleground for the Jedi and Sith. It was destroyed when the First Order attacked the castle in an attempt to capture the droid BB-8. Before the Battle on Takodana, a group of musicians composed of Sudswater Dillifay Glon, Infrablue Zedbeddy Coggins, Ubert Quaril, and Taybin Ralorsa played there. All were welcome at Maz Kanata's castle so long as they followed the rules, which required no violence of any sort. As such, the castle saw visitors from all walks of life, who could generally co-mingle without fear of attack. Kanata strictly enforced the rules personally with the aid of the ancient droid "Emmie" and those who violated them were forbidden from further visits. This also meant that even those who were in grave trouble, such as having a bounty on their head, could find refuge at the castle. Such individuals, however, would only be granted one free night of food, water, and shelter, after which they would have to pay a heavy fee if they wished to remain. The groundskeeper of the castle was HURID-327.
Behind the scenesEdit
The castle first appeared in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. It was first revealed in an exclusive Vanity Fair article in May 2015, which included photos by Annie Leibovitz. The pictures showcased one of the sets used for the castle and a number of human, droid, and alien characters.
In The Force Awakens, the castle's exterior features numerous flags, including one depicting the logo of the real-world 501st Legion. Between the release of the trailers showcasing the exterior of the castle and the final releases a number of the flags were modified significantly reducing the number of references.[source?] In Star Wars: Complete Locations, Maz's quarters has the theatrical poster of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope hung on one of its walls.
- "A Recipe for Death"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Last Shot
- Star Wars: Commander (First pictured)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- "The Face of Evil"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I (First appearance)
- Forces of Destiny: The Rey Chronicles (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 26: The Awakening, Part I (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Tracker Trouble" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- The Force Awakens, Part III
- The Force Awakens, Part IV
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game (Picture only)
- A Call for Heroes (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 27: The Awakening, Part II
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Test"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Kyber Saber Crystal Chase"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Home One"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Storms of Taul"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Hunting for Han"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Puzzle Droids
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ "The Face of Evil"
- ↑ Robinson, Joanna (May 4th, 2015). Star Wars The Force Awakens's Revealed | Vanity Fair. Vanity Fair. Retrieved on December 25, 2015.
- ↑ The 501st Legion on Facebook. 501st Legion (December 20, 2015). Retrieved on December 20, 2015. "As we lift our restrictions on spoilers, we thought it might be appropriate to express thanks for this "Easter egg" in #TheForceAwakens. A variation of the #501st logo flies proudly on a flag at Maz Kanata's castle on the planet Takodana. Thank you to J. J. Abrams and all of the crew at Lucasfilm and Disney for honoring our contributions to the Star Wars franchise. #StarWars #BadGuysDoingGood" (screenshot)
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Watch: Fascinating video pinpointing exactly where Star Wars scenes were filmed in the Lake District. Manchester Evening News (December 14, 2015). Retrieved on January 9, 2018.